CoinPeople.com

Penny without its mint mark!

s_a_scolnik

I was reading in a book the other day about a penny worth several thousands of dollars because of its missing mintmark.

The penny came from 1990 and was missing its "D" mintmark.

Since reading that in the book (and no other details [stupid me]) I'm not sure if there was more to that amount of money or not.

I currently have a penny from 1990 without its mintmark so I want to know how much its worth. If anyone could help out---I'd appreciate it.

PS-I have another 1990 penny that DOES have a mintmark on it...

I believe what you are referring to is a proof cent without a mintmark. There were probably more than a billion cents minted in 1990 without mintmarks as all business strike coins minted at Philadelphia and West Point do not have mintmarks. The proof coins, those with mirrorlike background surfaces and frosted letters and images of Lincoln and the Lincoln Memorial, should have an S mintmark for San Francisco, where most proofs are minted. There have been cases in the past where proof coins were lacking a mintmark, and those are valuable. There have also been cases where proof dies have been used to produce circulation strike coins, such as the 1999 wide letters vs close letters (though I can't remember offhand which one came from the proof die). If you post a photo, we might be able to confirm whether your coin is an error or just a regular 1990 business strike.

How do I do that...

I've got the pictures but can you quickly tell me how to load the pictures to the site?

you can either attach the image when replying to a thread, or if the picture is housed on the web, you can insert an image using the HTML code "[ IMG]http://name of picture.jpg[/img]" only no space between the [ and IMG. Hope this helps.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a picture of my penny in this field. I put the penny, obverse and reverse sides, on my gallery. Take a look there and tell me if my penny is worth anything. I appreciate it.

Archived