CoinPeople.com

ANA Convention Badges and Medals

Art

1962 Detriot, MI

Joint ANA/CNA Convention

1332394644_999c7b98f0_o.jpg

Nameplate: 30mm x 57mm, rectangular, gilt with a pin clasp back.

Ribbon: The suspension ribbon is red.

Pendant: 41mm, bronze and looped.

Obverse: The official emblems of the United States and Canada merge to form the obverse design. The peaceful eagle clutching a sprig of laurel in its talons symbolizes friendship. The legend reads, AMERICAN * CANADIAN and NUMISMATIC ASSOCIATIONS below.

Reverse: The Spirit of Detroit is depicted with the inscriptions ANNUAL CONVENTION, and, DETROIT • MICHIGAN • 1962.

Edge: Plain with inscription. MEDALLIC ART CO. NY

Quantity: 2500 bronze badges were issued.

Medals: Medals identical to the badge were issued in bronze, pure silver, and gold. 1000 serial numbered bronze medals, 1000 serial numbered pure silver medals, 200 unnumbered bronze medals, and 1 gold medal were issued. The single gold medal was presented to Miss Eva Adams, Superintendent of the US Mint, by William Louth, Medallic Art Company.

Numismatist Sep 72, p1405

Edited by Art
Changed image link

A timely post since it reminded me of something i've had in my collection for a few years now. :-)

It seems to have been issued for the 68th Annual Convention of the ANA at Portland, Oregon in 1959. Also commemorates 100th Anniversary of the State of Oregon.

A rather posh kind of ID tag is it not? Presumably issued to officers (?). :-)

ANA1959obv.jpg

ANA1959rev.jpg

A timely post since it reminded me of something i've had in my collection for a few years now.  :-)

It seems to have been issued for the 68th Annual Convention of the ANA at Portland, Oregon in 1959. Also commemorates 100th Anniversary of the State of Oregon.

A rather posh kind of ID tag is it not?  Presumably issued to officers (?).    :-)

ANA1959obv.jpg

ANA1959rev.jpg

The badge is really neat. They are available to everyone attending the convention or by mail order before the convention for ANA members. I particularly like this badge because of the gold coin reproduction on it. There were 1000 of these issued. Since there are not very many collectors for these, they are easier to find than one might think.

This is what I have in my database for this issue:

1959 Portland, OR

- Numismatist May 72, p738

Nameplate: 30mm x 56mm, rectangular, gilt with a pin clasp back.

Ribbon: The suspension ribbon is blue.

Pendant: 40mm, bronze and looped.

Obverse: The obverse of the Oregon Exchange Company 1849 $10 gold piece is in the center. Around this is the legend, AMERICAN NUMISMATIC ASSOCIATION, above and 68th ANNUAL CONVENTION / PORTLAND, OREGON AUGUST 26-29, 1959, below.

Reverse: The reverse of the $10 gold piece is the reverse of the pendant. The legend around the top reads, 100th ANNIVERSARY STATE OF OREGON / 1859-1959. And below, FACSIMILE BEAVER MONEY / OREGON NUMISMATIC SOCIETY.

Quantity: Bronze: 1000 bronze badges were issued.

Medals: No record of medals exists.

I know what you mean about `demand'. Even though the original issue number was low, if there ain't that many people actively interested in collecting them their value is pretty insignificant.

I wonder how many out of that original 1,000 have survived through to present time though, given that this one has somehow managed to find its way across the Atlantic. :-)

Through sheer co-incidence, my favourite US coin is the Oregon Trail $1/2. I also love the history of the Oregon Trail. Of course the gold coin depicted on this medallion fits very well indeed with these interests.

Just on a point of clarity though, shouldn't your database read `gilt bronze' ? I wouldn't have thought that there would have been any of these issued in just plain bronze given that it is supposedly representative of a gold coin (?).

Ian

I know what you mean about `demand'. Even though the original issue number was low, if there ain't that many people actively interested in collecting them their value is pretty insignificant.

I wonder how many out of that original 1,000 have survived through to present time though, given that this one has somehow managed to find its way across the Atlantic.  :-)

Through sheer co-incidence, my favourite US coin is the Oregon Trail $1/2. I also love the history of the Oregon Trail. Of course the gold coin depicted on this medallion fits very well indeed with these interests.

Just on a point of clarity though, shouldn't your database read `gilt bronze' ? I wouldn't have thought that there would have been any of these issued in just plain bronze given that it is supposedly representative of a gold coin (?).

Ian

I'd seen one of these that appeared to be plated before. The fellow who got me started in ANA medals had a really neat one. The only other Oregon that I have inspected was plain bronze and had tarnished with age. Very black and badly in need of some conservation (aka cleaning). Net = I'm not sure if the gilt process was a special or a post issue thing. I'll go back and ask a few folks.

As to the number surviving -- ????? Can't really tell. About a year ago I purchased a small box of ANA medals and such that was found in a garage cleanout of an estate. The lady was going to throw them out because the box was all musty smelling. One of her neighbors brought it to a friend of mine who's a dealer. He wasn't interested but called me. Needless to say - she was very happy with the outcome.

I think a lot of them end up this way. The people either consider them garbage or the world's greatest treasure. Either way, they are quickly lost to collectors.

I got some answers from a few ANA folks about the Oregon badge. It was only issued in bronze and the particular composition of bronze is probably such that they could appear to have a gilt finish.

1969 Philadelphia, PA Convention

1331560627_c50510b82c.jpg

1331561085_5804b52ff4.jpg

Nameplate: 30mm x 57mm, gilt and with a pin clasp back (large badge only)

Pin Clasp: Attached at back of ribbon, military style (small badge only).

Ribbon: Blue/yellow/blue

Pendant: 38mm or 19mm, round, bronze and looped.

Obverse: A bust of Liberty, reminiscent of the 1793 cent and half-cent.

Reverse: An eagle clutching an olive branch. The ANA seal is to the right of the eagle. In the background is the image of the new Philadelphia Mint, dedicated on Aug 14,1969. Inscribed is AMERICAN NUMISMATIC ASSOCIATION, 78th ANNIVERSARY.

Quantity: 2300 of the 38mm badges and 500 of the 19mm badges were manufactured.

This was the first year for the 19mm badges.

Medals: Identical to badge except un-looped. Bronze 38mm, silver 38mm, and bronze 19mm, issued as sets of three in a white Plexiglas holder. 400 serial numbered sets were issued.

Numismatist June 72, p973

I got some answers from a few ANA folks about the Oregon badge. It was only issued in bronze and the particular composition of bronze is probably such that they could appear to have a gilt finish.

Thanks for the info Art.

That would explain. I would probably have leaned more towards brass than bronze, although it looks `bronzy' in places much the way you would imagine it showing through a thin coating. Hence my assumption that it was gilt bronze. Probably a combination of the metal mix and some natural toning. The effect is quite pleasant in any event. :-)

Thanks for the info Art.

That would explain. I would probably have leaned more towards brass than bronze, although it looks `bronzy' in places much the way you would imagine it showing through a thin coating. Hence my assumption that it was gilt bronze.  Probably a combination of the metal mix and some natural toning. The effect is quite pleasant in any event.  :-)

Ian,

I have to agree with you on the pleasant effect. It's a great looking medal. Wish I had one of those in my set. I haven't been buying much this past year. I've got to wrangle some dupes from a few of my friends.

1940 Detriot, MI Convention

1331558965_7194afd792.jpg

1332446724_f2426a32b1.jpg

1332445640_bc479ee5af.jpg

Nameplate: 38mm x 50mm, bronze, irregular and with pin clasp back. The Spirit of Transportation, a winged figure with hands grasping a steering wheel superimposed on an automobile tire and wheel ornaments, dominate the nameplate at upper center. Arching above from left to right on a flowing banner is the inscription, THE SPIRIT OF MOTOR TRANSPORTATION. Below, separated from the figure by the space for registrant’s name is DETROIT, MICH. The name of the manufacturer appears on the back.

Pendant: 37mm, bronze, looped.

Obverse: The Michigan State seal adorns the center of the pendant. The seal consists of a Moose and Elk supporting a shield with the sun and man within, an eagle above and the word, MICHIGAN, at top. On banners below is the state motto, Si Quaris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice, (If you seek a pleasant Peninsula, look around you). Surrounding the seal around top is AMERICAN NUMISMATIC ASSN. CONVENTION, and around below, DETROIT, AUG. 24-29, 1940. Lettering on reverse in half moon shape reads, THE WHITEHEAD & HOAG CO. / NEWARK, N.J.

Numismatist Jul 71, p1007

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Here are a few Convention Badges that I photographed this week.

6995980078_57aa9b583a_z.jpg

ANA Badge Bal Harbour 1974 obv by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

6995980894_07ff24ccd1_z.jpg

ANA Badge Bal Harbour 1974 rev by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

This is the image display format that I've decided upon for my ANA badges.

7142393303_0e761f5643_z.jpg

ANA Badge Bal Harbour 1974 stack2 by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr