CoinPeople.com

Proof versus Uncirculated

jlueke

I've been favoring the more subtle look of uncirculated coins more and more over the highly polished proofs. But this is one proof that I'll make an exception for :ninja:

http://www.coinpeople.com/1972-Bahmas-2-Do...roof-t7100.html

Do you guys prefer buisiness strikes or proofs?

I usually prefer Unc vs Proof. I do think that the proofs are prettier but since they're not made for circulation they don't fit my general collection direction.

Nothing beats a well made, well preserved proof. They reveal the full beauty the artist intended. To my eye, most of the state quarters are ho-hum designs (not all, most). Take those same designs, strike them in silver proof and the number of good designs increases dramatically.

Odd, the business strikes are made from cheap metal that have no intrinsic value, only value via fiat. The proofs are much more likely to be made of a metal that is, historically, negotiable for debts and has intrinsic worth, but the proofs are much less desireable in many collections.

Stranger still is that the only way to get the tokens (coins) made from valuable metal is to trade coins made from a valueless metal.

Makes you think...

Neat cameo on that one :ninja:

I usually prefer to put business strikes in my type sets. I do, however, pick up a few proofs from time to time because of the cameo.

I used to actively collect proofs. However, I have slowly lost my interest in them through the years. So business strikes are definitely my preference.

There are only 4 proof series that I still actively collect:

-Finland commemoratives

-Finland mint sets

-US mint sets

-US SAEs

If I purchase a proof outside of this, it will be purely on a simple: WOW! I like the look of that! basis. --like the "Rulers of Lithuania" series I bought some time ago.

Archived