CoinPeople.com

Parliamentary Reform 1906-2006 Commem

tabbs

The Finnish Mint plans to issue a collector coin dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the parliamentary reform and equal voting rights next year. The winning design is the one presented by Pertti Mäkinen. If you want to see pictures ... well, go to Helsinki. :ninja: Or wait a little. Here is the press release:

http://www.mint.fi/en/press-releases/1391/

Christian

Here is the image from the press release.

Thanks for the picture! Looks interesting, especially since such "abstract" themes are usually difficult to put on a coin. The two hands with the ballots are a little strange since the sheets are not in the hands any more but have not made it through the slot either. :ninja: But the two sides correspond nicely. Now what does "Eduskuntauudistus" mean - does that refer to equal voting rights or the reform as a whole?

Christian

Now what does "Eduskuntauudistus" mean - does that refer to equal voting rights or the reform as a whole?

Christian

Sorry that I have not answered your question sooner.

Eduskunta is the name of the Finnish Parliament. So the term refers to the reform as a whole. Up to that time Finland still had a Diet based on the Estate system, so those eligable to vote was limited to station, wealth, and/or land holdings. This reform that created a unicameral house (there were dabates whether to make a bicameral legislature) that brought universal and equal suffrage was written by the Finnish Senate and was signed off by the tsar. The protests of 1905 in Russia also took place in Finland and was one of the main factors that led the native political parties to act.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally had a chance to go see the display of the other proposals for the coming commemorative. They are usually on display only for a week and I have always been too busy to make it. Anyhow I hastily took some pictures as my camera battery was low :ninja: , so some have come out a bit out of focus.

Here is the winning entry

OBVERSE

REVERSE

Here is second place entry (I like this one)

OBVERSE

REVERSE

Third place (the reverse is the interior floor of the Parliament)

OBVERSE

REVERSE

Honorable mention

OBVERSE

REVERSE

OTHER ENTRIES, but not all.

OBVERSE

REVERSE

OBVERSE2

REVERSE2

OBVERSE3

REVERSE3

OBVERSE4

REVERSE4

Wow, great! This is the first time I get to see the "rejected" designs of a Finnish commem. What I find very interesting is that practically all designs are relatively sober. Not sure if that is the right word - but if you look at most Austrian collector coins, for a contrast, you'll know what I mean. That "horror vacui" surely does not apply to Finnish coin designers ...

And, I agree with the jury decision, hehe. The second place looks neat too, but I have a little problem with the paragraph signs. For me they represent the rule of law and maybe even equality before the law - which surely is a big progress compared to arbitrary autocratic decisions. They do, however, not necessarily symbolize democratic voting rights and the rule of parliament. (But maybe that's just my---nority opinion. :ninja: )

If I could pick one design totally regardless of the theme, I would opt for the "honorable mention". Does not really convey the idea of the Parliamentary Reform (at least as far as I can tell) but looks very good. And the first place is a nice design and makes the occasion obvious. ;)

Christian

If I could pick one design totally regardless of the theme, I would opt for the "honorable mention". Does not really convey the idea of the Parliamentary Reform (at least as far as I can tell) but looks very good. And the first place is a nice design and makes the occasion obvious. ;)

Christian

You will be pleased to know that the deciding jury felt the same way. In their comments they found the design to be pleasing, but not sufficiently obvious in conveying the theme to be commemorated. :ninja:

• 4 months later...

The coin is apparently available now. From what I have read, mintage is 30,000 BU (at €32 each) and 30,000 proof (at €54 each). The prices are what the Finnish Mint charges for the coins.

Christian

The coin is apparently available now. From what I have read, mintage is 30,000 BU (at €32 each) and 30,000 proof (at €54 each). The prices are what the Finnish Mint charges for the coins.

Christian

According to the Finnish language press release on Moneta's net pages:

"Hopearahaa lyödään enimmillään 30 000 kappaletta, josta osa lyödään ns. erikoislyöntinä."

The silver coin will have a maximum mintage of 30,000 of which a portion will be struck using a special striking method. (meaning proof)

The silver coin will have a maximum mintage of 30,000 of which a portion will be struck using a special striking method. (meaning proof)

Ah, thanks ... So that would be a total mintage of 30,000 for both "versions"?

Christian

Ah, thanks ... So that would be a total mintage of 30,000 for both "versions"?

Christian

Yes, at least according to the wording of the press release. :ninja:

If you examine the mintages of previous €10 coins you will see some are in the 60,000 range, some are around the 30,000 range, and some are in between. Since the Snellman issue of this year was at 55,000 I would assume that the max of 30,000 is accurate for this issue.

• 2 weeks later...

The latest rumor is that the Equal Voting Rights design will (only slightly altered) also be used for a €2 commem. Provided the "sources" are correct, this "100 years equal and universal suffrage in Finland" coin is to be issued in October, with a mintage of 2,500,000 ...

suomi065ce.th.jpg

Click on the image to see a large version (not my picture).

Christian

I like that design. Would probably make a great 2€ coin. The design surface on the 2€ is so small that some of the designs are just too busy.

The latest rumor is that the Equal Voting Rights design will (only slightly altered) also be used for a €2 commem. Provided the "sources" are correct, this "100 years equal and universal suffrage in Finland" coin is to be issued in October, with a mintage of 2,500,000 ...

suomi065ce.th.jpg

Click on the image to see a large version (not my picture).

Christian

I just read an article in our local paper that confirms the details of this "rumor" except that there was no mention of when this coin will be officially released. October sounds quite reasonable.

So you can add this one to your list Art. :ninja:

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived