CoinPeople.com

Superstitions

Butter Churning:

To keep witch’s or fairy’s spells from stopping the cream from turning to butter, a silver coin thrown into the cream would suffice.

Newborns:

Cool list. On the butter churning, I've heard a variation where the coin is nailed to the outside of the barn for the same purpose.

... Money is the root of all evil. ...  See a penny pick it up and all the day you’ll have good luck ... The Garnet will help you to achieve good luck in business, but will cause bad luck in romance. ... The Scottish say an occupant will come into money when rats enter the house. ... This penny supposedly cured madness in cattle.  ...  if the eyes of the dead were open, they would be looking for someone to take along with them.  .. Pick up a coin off the floor only after you have walked on it. ...  Plenty of money should be placed in every wallet in the place to guarantee a prosperous year.

1. That is the LOVE of money (philargyrion: literall, love of silver) -- and he was wrong.

2. Your good luck beginning with the penny, of course.

3. business or pleasure... business or pleasure... it is so hard to decide... what if business is your romance? :ninja: What if romance is your business?! ;)

4. Regarding rats, Japanese banknotes used to have Daigoku, the spirit of prosperity, and his rat. "The rat at Daigoku's feet, though repellent to western eyes, in fact is an enviable symbol of wealth to many Asians. In the past in Japan, warehouses full of rice meant a good year and this is where rats were to be found. If one's neighbors had rats, it meant that he was rich with rice and at some point people began associating the two."

(http://www.thelema.net/hml/00Shinto/chap_15.html)

5. Mad cow disease in ancient times? Hmmm.... Interesting...

6. The eyes open when the murder walks into the room.

7. From now on, will only pick them up after walking on them.

8. Salting the wallets with money is a great idea! Nice custom!

(Does anyone know the superstition that if you pick up a Cent obverse up, it is good luck, but reverse up, it brings bad luck?)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<<Black Penny:

This was a real coin that existed and was owned by a family named Turnbull in Northumberland, England. The Black Penny was ”Not quite as big as a modern penny, but thicker. It had a kind of raised rim or border, and seemed composed of copper or zinc.” This penny supposedly cured madness in cattle. This was accomplished by dipping the coin into South running water. The water was then drawn off and given to the cattle to drink. This coin was loaned out quite often, and was eventually lost when being returned by mail around 1827.>>

There was a penny issued during the reign of James III of Scotland 1460-1488 that was referred to as the Black Penny, because it was the first bronze coin issued in Britain in over 500 years.

jamesiiipenny.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Two Dollar bills are considered to be unlucky.

Throwing a coin into a well or a fountain grants a wish.

I had never heard the first one, but a wise older gentleman I know from a different forum who worked many years in the banking system said that after WWII they could not give them away. No one wanted the $2 bill, and he claims mostly because of this saying. He also contributes it to the reason they quit printing the $2 bill in the '50s and '60s.

The well/fountain one is also true, and I know it for a fact, but maybe not quite like you are thinking. Between the 3 hospital campuses were I work, we have 5 large outdoor fountains. Each year at the end of the season (always BEFORE Halloween, for some reason! :lol: ) when we drain down the fountains we collect the money that has been tossed in. This equates to about 15 - 5 gallon buckets of change. Yep, 75 gallons of change. That is a lot of change! It is washed, dried and taken to the bank where it is run through a coin counter, and the money is then given to the Children’s Miracle Network. They in turn use it to help a family that is going through a really tough time by having a sick child in our facilities. So it does grant someone's wish, just maybe not the person's who originally tossed in the coins. :ninja:

• 3 years later...

This is an old thread that's quite interesting. I wonder if anyone has anything "new" to add.

Archived