CoinPeople.com

Is the collecting hobby changing?

IMIS

Been gone from this forum for a couple of years. Recently looked at a few floor auctions and ebay. Looks like the level of activity is way down compared to a few years ago. Hope I am wrong. What do you guys think?

People who are interested in particular coins keep buying and collecting them.

The lower level of interest is the result of lower investment power going into coins by general public, I guess.

Which is not exactly a bad thing for buying collectors, but less favorable times to the selling dealers.

Even on eBay I still manage to pick up something interesting from time to time, and have to play against a

reasonable competition... A lot of good looking Russian coins do not get to the respectable auctions

and get sold at the Russian forums, and sometimes for VERY good money, so we just don't see them here

in the "West"... unle:ss they come from the "western" collections. A lot of people who realize that this

is not the best time to sell, just "sit on it", waiting for the better times...

I share your sentiment as a collector, better prices and considerably less material. This side of the Atlantic has been depleted of Russian coins. Perhaps they should be treated as protected species.

By 'general public' do you mean buyers from Russia?

I regret very much that there are no more posts here in the forum. :not_i: Of course it is my fault, too :sorry:

Will put something the next days,

Let's give it a new start altogether :weight_lift:

Sigi

For Germany:

On coin shows you can count real collectors below the age of 50 with the fingers of one hand. It´s no hobby for young men (and women are even less interested in coins as you all know).

Looks like very few young people are interested in collecting at all.

It must jump the generations sometimes... ;)

By "general public", I meant anyone who is not seriously collect coins and

buys whatever catches their eye, mostly for some silly investment, just

because their have extra money and don't know what to do with it. In Russia

and outside. Around 2010 there were a lot of people like that, for whom it was

like a game.

It seems to me that in recent years many Russian coins that used to be and perhaps still are rare were sold and then resold so many times that they lost their mysterious appeal. Excessive slabbing also contributed to the commodization of coins.

gxseries,

Sorry to hear about your misadventure. I think this warrants creation of a public list of fake sellers. Had a similar issue a long time ago; ebay was helpful but the seller vanished into thin air.

For Germany:

On coin shows you can count real collectors below the age of 50 with the fingers of one hand.

That's OK. Coin collectors tend to live longer than noncollectors. Medical fact :yes: