CoinPeople.com

Did I buy a Fake? 1911 British Trade Dollar...

wabnoles

Hey everyone... I recently bought a coin from ebay. I am only out $20-something so not too bad. Well I finally got the coin in the mail today and believe it is a fake. It only weighs 23 grams, whereas the real McCoy weighs closer to 27 grams. What do "you alls" think?

Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-antique-foreign-coin-/311778864180?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=7MOFUcZFwx%252BPcaojmrw5a%252BrH%252Bm4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

From the photos alone I wouldn't have touched this with a ten foot pole - sorry. It's either cast, or struck from dies made by casting - both signs that this is primarily made for the souvenir trade rather than the collector trade - lots of these floating around in Chinatowns and in markets throughout East Asia for $1-10, depending on how much the seller thinks they can get out of an buyer hoping to take a chance.

On a fake, any price is too high a price.

As an aside, buying from a seller who doesn't know what they have is hit and miss. But when they have Chinese dollars but no Chinese minors or other East Asian coins or notes to go along with them, the odds are 99.99% that the dollars are fake.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg