CoinPeople.com

Belize Discovery: 1984 Specimen Set

Britcoin

I was recently able to locate and fortunately purchase a 1984 Belize Specimen Set of 8 coins struck by the Franklin Mint. This is listed in Krause but in 30 years I have never seen or heard of this set & I thought it was simply a "placesaver" in Krause. I am pleased to report that it exists and that it is just as earlier sets in the series as far as packaging, wallet, and the Prooflike surfaces of the coins.

Also, I have not seen ANY other Franklin Mint specimen sets of coins of this year despite relentless searching. I did manage to get some individual Barbados and Jamaica single uncirculated 1984 coins & the Jamaica 10 dollar Marlin coin in unc that was packaged separately (the Valcambi Mint struck some Olympic commems in 1984 in 10 and 25 D. denominations featuring a lone sprinter).

If any other readers have info concerning Franklin Mint unc. or specimen coins of 1984 or 1985 please post or PM me.

There's a nice coffee table book about the Franklin Mint which included info on coins and medals. I used to have a copy, from the bargain book table, but gave it away. As I recall the title was simply 'The Franklin Mint'.

I think one thing that would be interesting re: Franklin Mint is if anyone were to uncover records of minting coins in the 1981-1985 period - these are just not available in any comprehensive form. I can offer anecdotes based on intense pursuit of them, but that is all they are & certainly it remains possible if less likely over time that mini-hoards may show. It is also reported that members of the Franklin Collector Society (or similar name) had access to "special" releases which may include coins like the 1982 Belize $10 mule.

• 6 months later...

I was recently able to locate and fortunately purchase a 1984 Belize Specimen Set of 8 coins struck by the Franklin Mint. This is listed in Krause but in 30 years I have never seen or heard of this set & I thought it was simply a "placesaver" in Krause. I am pleased to report that it exists and that it is just as earlier sets in the series as far as packaging, wallet, and the Prooflike surfaces of the coins.

Also, I have not seen ANY other Franklin Mint specimen sets of coins of this year despite relentless searching. I did manage to get some individual Barbados and Jamaica single uncirculated 1984 coins & the Jamaica 10 dollar Marlin coin in unc that was packaged separately (the Valcambi Mint struck some Olympic commems in 1984 in 10 and 25 D. denominations featuring a lone sprinter).

If any other readers have info concerning Franklin Mint unc. or specimen coins of 1984 or 1985 please post or PM me.

Hello!

It's very interesting information! Could you send some photos of this set on my e-mail please: elick74@yandex.ru ?!

Thank you very much for ciooperation!

P.S. I've seen 1984 Jamaica uncirculated specimen (with Blue Marlin $10 Cu-Ni) set on photo but don't about Barbados 1984. By the way...do you know is exist Guyana 1977 or 1978 (as Krause says) 8 coin uncirculated specimen set as earlier sets in the series as far as packaging, wallet, and the Prooflike surfaces of the coins?

Yes, the Guyana 1977 set exists, and believe it to be the matte specimen coin, and not proof like. The 1978 Guyana should exist but I have not seen it and it should be proof like.

These are a challenge to collect if not so valuable.

As far as individual coins:

I have been able to get the following 1984 Barbados in proof like: $10, $5 and 25c

I have been able to get the following 1984 Jamaica in proof like: $10, 50c, 25c, 20c

As far as I can determine, the Franklin Mint made only matte uncirculated through 1974.

They then started making specimen sets that they packaged with proof like specimen coins in 1975 and this went through 1984.

They also made matte uncirculated uncirculated coins in 1975 and 1976 which were evidently released to the Central Banks of the various countries, but did not package themselves in sets.

The Central Banks then did what they wanted with these 1975 and 1976 coins, and some they put into "sets". I got a Guyana 1976 like this.

This was also true of Jamaica where they received matte coins of 1975 through 1977 dates (as they were only of copper nickel, they did not get a lot of respect and so were lost or destroyed - unknown fates even though in the case of the $10 coins the mintage was only about 27 or 28 pieces). I once got mattes of the 1975 and 1977 $10 coins for about 12USD per coin!

1977 and years after the Central Banks occasionally got separate uncirculated proof like coins which they did what they wanted with. Guyana did this with the 1c through $1 coins, and would package "sets" themselves that came in a light green holder. I have not seen the $5 and $10 Guyana packaged this way.

Interestingly, Jamaica also was given the gold coins to distribute as they saw fit and so at least some 1976 $100 matte coins went out allegedly one per branch of the banks that are now known as Bank of Jamaica (BoJ). Some survived and other were lost. I have heard that some of the Guyana 1976 & 77 matte $100 went to the Central Bank down there.