CoinPeople.com

Kiwi coins circulating in Australia - digital type set

gxseries

This is an interesting challenge that I've been up to. Actually there are two.

1) Finding Kiwi coins that circulate in Australia
2) Rephotographing and cataloging the Kiwi coins that I have within a time frame of one week into digital type set format.

It's interesting to see that Kiwi coins do appear in circulation in Australia once in a blue moon. The main reason why they managed to circulate for so long is that the Kiwi and Aussie coins were struck in similar specification hence vending machines just take them. This only apply to 5, 10 and 20 cents.

In 2006 all the older types are declared to be no longer legal tender. Newer coins are struck in lighter and cheaper material. As for how scarce Kiwi coins are in circulation - they are as endangered as the little kiwi birds. Yet when they do appear, sometimes the mintage of some of them are as low as 2 million.

I've always had real difficulty of creating a digital type set album and historically it has been taking me at least a month to research, plan, design and making a final product. I've decided that this needed a real change and it had to be done within a week. Result is that it can be done as I haven't been smart with what I was doing. It still shares similar format but looks great.

Ok enough talk and let's enjoy the final product:

https://issuu.com/gxseries/docs/new_zealand_type_in_aus

GX, great idea for a set and great layout. Thanks for sharing.

A couple of questions:

1) How often do folks come from NZ to Aus?

2) Why are the kiwi coins so rare down there?

Thank you Art and thedeadpoint. :)

I guess what makes it interesting is that as Australia and New Zealand are separated a fair distance across the ocean - the only way this can happen is when Kiwi or Aussie tourists accidentally mix their change and this is how they end up in circulation. Bear in mind that the shortest possible journey from New Zealand to Australia can be anywhere from 2 - 4 hour flight distance.

If I am not wrong, New Zealanders historically didn't need a visa or had easier circumstances to come into Australia if they want to come for holidays, live or work. It might be quite different today.

Because New Zealand had an active program to remove all the older coinage in 2006, many of the older coinage no longer circulate.

Thank you Art and thedeadpoint. :)

I guess what makes it interesting is that as Australia and New Zealand are separated a fair distance across the ocean - the only way this can happen is when Kiwi or Aussie tourists accidentally mix their change and this is how they end up in circulation. Bear in mind that the shortest possible journey from New Zealand to Australia can be anywhere from 2 - 4 hour flight distance.

If I am not wrong, New Zealanders historically didn't need a visa or had easier circumstances to come into Australia if they want to come for holidays, live or work. It might be quite different today.

Because New Zealand had an active program to remove all the older coinage in 2006, many of the older coinage no longer circulate.

Thank you for that answer. A 2-4 hour flight isn't that uncommon for business here!