CoinPeople.com

Latest bulk token buy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice nickels. Had a lumber yard burn near my home when I was a kid. WOW! What a blaze. It was a real loss to us kids as they were always giving us wood to build scooters and wagons and such. Very nice folks there. They never re-opened the yard. Missed them.

Same with most of the old style ones I knew the last one went bankrupt here about 8 years ago they just finished tearing down all of the sheds and buildings the other day. I had an account there fir my biz there till they closed None of the big boxes can hold a bag of sawdust to it!

32511783606_b30fc17760.jpg
Started out as a golf driving range, kept adding arcade machines,pool tables,bar then branched out into go-karts and some other rides and zip line. Is the closest ride park to the Detroit area now.

Neat token and interesting info. I wish them lots of luck with their place. It seems like something much needed in many areas.

It's interesting to me that "Love tokens" have been popular for so very long and yet I see little about them currently.

There doesn't seem to be as many people with the skill set to make them. They still do exist, but the are generally done now on pendants, charms and the backs of necklace dangles. estate sale and garage sales, thrift shops are the place to find them.

I read an interesting book about the "Love Tokens" produced by the folks exiled from England to Australia way back when it was a new colony. I guess they spent long long periods of time on ships in transit and holding patterns and so tokens were made for lovers and family. Cartwheels were popular bases for them. I guess the size and material made them good canvasses.

Here's some info on the book that I mentioned. I purchased one new and read it and have since given it away. WOW! Look at the prices on these books.

Convict Love Tokens: The Leaden Hearts the Convicts Left Behind

Intriguing and poignant messages from the past are borne by the "love tokens" produced by British convicts sentenced to transportation to Australia. Expelled from the known world, usually never to see their loved ones again, convicts defaced cartwheel pennies - sanding back the King's head on one side and Britannia on the other - and engraved their keepsakes with a variety of hopes, fears, messages and predictions.

"Convict Love Tokens" catalogues and describes the small coins containing messages to family and loved ones from British convicts about to be exiled to Australia. The authors include photographs of these miniature works of art and sorrow, as well as accounts of the lives of the men and women who made them to leave behind as remembrances. A moving and fascinating account of a little known aspect of Australian and British history.

Here's the Amazon link. https://www.amazon.com/Convict-Love-Tokens-Leaden-Convicts/dp/1862544344/ref=sr_1_31?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1492172943&sr=1-

31&keywords=Love+Tokens

Design and layout used by quite a few coin clubs. The Ocala club usually has handouts at the yearly show.

32700237115_8f5bcfe0d4.jpg

32659577746_e0d4fc51ce.jpg

Fred Harvey trading post wooden nickle, Ohio state parks

Neat! Is that the Fred Harvey from the radio? (Oops! Wasnt' that Paul Harvey? )