CoinPeople.com

silver shilling tokens

three cheap and cheerful examples of silver shilling (twelve pence) tokens issued 1811 during the reign and `madness' of King George III.

The first is a Birmingham workhouse token

1035863.jpg

the second is a token from Sheffield

1035864.jpg

the third is from Bristol

1035865.jpg

Very nice, is this a new area of collecting for you?

Often thought of collecting some of these myself but so far have been able to resist. Have you visited this site http://issuu.com/landsum/docs/stc?e=2565297/3024483 ?

I have a lot of conder tokens & early 18th century token copper pennies(including workhouse), I should make an effort to take some pictures & post them.

Thanks for the link. That is a fantastic resource! I've been using Seaby for my reference but Dalton is king.

Until this week I only had five examples of silver shilling and six pence tokens. I bought these three examples as they were too good to miss for the price. I got lucky.

I do have a small collection of the copper `conders' (mainly scottish ones) ....i'm a sucker for anything depicting castles, churches, cathedrals,....and ships, etc etc. I've always been interested in these items and the history / social circumstances which saw their introduction. However my acquisition of these has been more as a result of `magpie-itis' than being a determined collector of these pieces.

It would be great if you did manage to find the time to take pictures /scans of your copper tokens. I'd really love to see them

Ian

Another fascinating series, Ian. You are indefatigable. I have a silver bank token from Ireland from 1811. I had no idea that there were some many similar series out there. Thanks!

Hi Michael. It's good to hear from you! Hope you are well, and thriving?

........your mention of ireland triggered memory that I have a few different denomination Irish bank tokens. Here's one for six shillings.

909104.jpg

Dublin (Anonymous) AR Shilling Token 24mm. 4.34g. King's Recovery (Private mint)

Obverse: Woman placing crown on plinth, inscribed 'HEALTH/ TO THE/ KING'. - Obverse legend: PRO BONO PUBLICO

Reverse: Aesculapius’ serpent around ancient brazier, weight and fineness 2 DWT – 20 GS with Sterling/ 1804 in exergue.

reverse legend: PUBLIC HAPPINESS

1036085.jpg

The 1804 piece was struck to facilitate trade during a period when `coin of the realm' was very much in short supply and new coinage simply was not being struck due directly to King George III's poor state of mental health.

The piece was struck from `good siller', although god alone knows where they got the actual silver from. That same year in England they were using Spanish colonial silver pieces of eight to strike Bank dollars (aka 5 shillings) with.

• 2 weeks later...

not a shilling, but a sixpence (aka a `tanner'). The little brother of the Birmingham Workhouse shilling. This one is dated 1812.....wasn't Napoleon was getting his ass whipped in Russia at that time?

1036285.jpg