CoinPeople.com

Medal Pazzi Medici Magnifico 15 c. - original, please?

Hello everybody!

Meet a Newbie)

I found some info in the Internet, but cannot jadge...

Need your help:

is it original, please?

(these photos is all I have)

different light used when taking pics

weights 2.4 oz (68g), 65 mm, about 2 mm thick

THANK YOU!!

medici-1.JPG

medici-2.JPG

medici-3.jpg

medici-4.jpg

medici-6.jpg

medici-5.jpg

I have looked at all the images on the web that I can find, this is yours next to the Bargello's example http://www.palazzo-medici.it/mediateca/it/Scheda_Medaglia_della_Congiura_de_Pazzi

Notice yours has the wide band above the inscription, hence Lorenzo's head is not flattened, which runs almost all the way round the medal, the reverse is the same. Not one of the other medals has this band.

medici-6-horz.jpg

Someone might have produced a later copy as it does appear to be almost too good to be true and if the size is the same as the medals missing the band that could also be problematic. Also the hair edge is singularly different on your example(to all the others) and lines missing on the center panel. This makes me suspicious of it and believe it is a later copy.

Still very nice & one that I would happily have in my collection.

I have looked at all the images on the web that I can find, this is yours next to the Bargello's example http://www.palazzo-medici.it/mediateca/it/Scheda_Medaglia_della_Congiura_de_Pazzi

Notice yours has the wide band above the inscription, hence Lorenzo's head is not flattened, which runs almost all the way round the medal, the reverse is the same. Not one of the other medals has this band.

medici-6-horz.jpg

Someone might have produced a later copy as it does appear to be almost too good to be true and if the size is the same as the medals missing the band that could also be problematic. Also the hair edge is singularly different on your example(to all the others) and lines missing on the center panel. This makes me suspicious of it and believe it is a later copy.

Still very nice & one that I would happily have in my collection.

Fascinating medal. Not sure I've seen a design like that.

There was a plot to assassinate the Medici brothers as they attended Mass in the Cathedral of Florence on 26th April 1478, Giuliano the younger brother was killed but Lorenzo fought off his first 2 attackers, priests, and lept into the octagonal choir(shown on the medal) and with the support of friends took sanctuary behind huge brass doors. This medal shows both brothers, one lying on the floor dying. The noble Pazzi banker family had arranged the semi-successful assassination but the survival of Lorenzo meant all the guilty Pazzi, their co-conspirators & some innocents were to suffer death and any remaining, presumed innocent, members of the family were force to change their surname & all evidence of the Pazzi was destroyed in Florence. The Romans had a law "damnatio memoriae" for crimes against the Emperor or State, which expunged all memory of the guilty person.

All the Pazzi's properties & debts owed to them(remember like the Medici they were bankers) were claimed by the Republic of Florence.

The Archbishop, by a ruse, & some men tried to seize control of the government palace a stronghold in the city but were defeated.

2 papal groups of soldiers waiting outside the city never entered as they must have got wind of Lorenzo's survival and/or the failure to take the government palace stronghold.