CoinPeople.com

Russian novodels

Hello, I'm new to this site. I am an average coin collector but would like to start collecting foreign coins. I would like to start with Russia. I looked at your forum about fakes and novodels. Is there some reference page or book that would help me identify these coins? I tried google and that's how I came to this site; seems like everyone is pretty helpful, but couldn't find anything to get me started. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to coinpeople!

Novodel is actually a term used to describe OFFICIAL restrikes from the Russian mint. However these days on ebay or other places, crook sellers abuse the word novodel and try to describe their counterfeits as novodels to confuse potential buyers. Genuine novodels especially Tsar era coinage can cost a fair bit and do not be deceived just because they are restrikes. Probably a very affordable novodel would be the 1902 37.5 ruble - 100 franc if you are looking for a novodel example as well as Soviet era novodels.

It depends what era of Russian coinage you are looking to collect. I guess we can help you from there once you specify what era you are keen in. Best of luck!