CoinPeople.com

A New Millionaire Joins

Morning all
A quick greeting from Northampton, England.
Whilst I was recently on holiday in Turkey, a fellow traveler had bought some old million lira notes from the last time he was in Turkey, back in the 70s. They turned out to be of no current value, so he was giving them away as curiosities. And I became a millionaire!
I also have as a souvenir of an earlier holiday a million mark note that was issued in Hamburg.
These interested me so I have decided to become a millionaire, in as many currencies as I can. Just a shame it can't be in any current currency :-) I am collecting banknotes from the any country unlucky enough to have gone through hyper-inflation.
These have been bought on Ebay or from one Ebay trader site. Most of them are unissued notes which seem to be of more interest to most collectors, but I think that the used notes are more characterful, and must have a story to tell. After all this million dollar note has actually been in someone's pocket and used for buying a loaf of bread.
I have been collecting for only a month so far and have banknotes from:
Argentina (Pesos)
Bosnia (Denara)
Georgia (Kuponi)
Germany (Mark)
Greece (Lira)
Hungary (Pengo)
Nicuragua (Cordoba)
Romania (Lei)
Turkey (Lira)
Yogoslavia (Dinara)
Zimbabwe (Dollars)
I have now a total of 34 notes with a total value of nearly 34 Billion whatevers.
They cost only a few pounds (I am in the UK) a time, and I have gone a bit mad this month. Perhaps I will be more careful in the future.
Jonguler

Hello and welcome! I agree, the ultrahigh denominations are fascinating; I have a German inter-war issue in the denomination of five billion marks. Too bad they can't be cashed in for the equivalent of five billion post-war marks... :D

Welcome from an expat :art: for a couple of years in the early 70's I lived just down the road from you in Bletchley.

Ah - Bletchley - the home of the secret code-breakers in WWII and the home of the computer museum - well worth a visit :yes:

What a cool idea for a collecting area! Can you post a few pics? I'd love to see them.

I will try and take some pics over the weekend. That is the problem when logging on at work :(

In the meantime I have some images saved on my google drive: Have a look if you are interested.

Not all the notes in my collection, but some interesting/nice ones.

The Zimbabwe notes are pretty common, but I might try and collect all values of all types (Banknotes, Bearer Cheques and Agro Cheques) the image is of a used note - see my comments above

I am sure the man on the Turkish notes is trying to hypnotize the viewer.

Why do all the people on high denomination notes look unhappy?

• 4 weeks later...