CoinPeople.com

2 kopecks 1757 - legend above or below?

extant4cell

In my opinion the middle coin is different from both at the sides. Compare the dragon's nose and the dragon's tail below and above the horse tail. For 1757 Yusupov lists 4 variants value above and 5 variants value below, all edge XXXXXXXXX. A total of 9, but only 3 with picture. There are probably more minute variants (Yusupov does not list all variants as I can tell from my 5kopek collecting). So I think comparison leads to nowhere.

If there is not the slightest trace of the value incription there just isn't any :pardon:

Who knows if this is not a trial piece?

Sigi

Thank you for looking into it, Sigi! :) Yes, they are different. I put them together merely to show where the signs of denominations must be searched for.

The opinion of Aleksey Korolek, who follows in Georgiy Evdokimov steps in determining mint by the stile of engraved picture, and whose opinion is highly respected, is that it is EM mint with denomination above ( http://coins.su/forum/index.php?showtopic=104423&p=1571409 )...

I keep putting away the study of what they studied, as it will require a lot of time with no interruption and searching through a lot of different posts
(a lot of people do the same, as it seams not that easy), but I have all the reasons to believe Alexey's judgement.

So, it must be a 5 kopecks -> 1 kopeck -> 2 kopecks overstrike made with EM (denomination above) worn out dies, that lost the writing.

Pretty interesting. Hard to tell. The only distinguishing feature that I can make out is the horses rear end is pointy. The coin from 1759 that you have up there, is from Ekaterinburg. On the other hand Moscow mint also had pointy butt coins in 1757:

1011491.jpg

However, overall shape of the horse looks more EM to me. Question - was there an EM coin a pointy horse rear and a lower banner?

I hate when I am at a mercy of someone-elses wisdom (however greatful I might be for it)... Alas, this is one of those cases...

In any case, I am waiting for a few interesting coins at the moments with little to no provenance, but interesting nonetheless. The one discussed - little worn, but nice looking overstrike:

post-27191-0-51886100-1416657802_thumb.j

and the one to the right from it on the first picture (first post) - one of the best looking (details wise) 1758 2 kopecks I've seen. :)

post-25328-0-06900300-1415355792_thumb.jpost-25328-0-08766400-1415355800_thumb.jpost-25328-0-27496200-1415355805_thumb.j

Hope to get them safe and sound.