CoinPeople.com

Error in Proof coin. How rare?

I have a very complicated case, maybe you could help me to find answers.

I have a commemorative silver 5 Euro coin issued this year in original round plastic capsule. Coin was issued by national bank in Proof (!) quality and issue limit was 10 000 coins.
National bank informed collectors that design of this coin will contain 3 national flags that will be in colours. There are no other designs- just this one with 3 flags in colours.

Coin I bought from national bank was with error in its design- 2/3 of colours in 3rd flag were missing (colour is missing on 22.2% of surface where it should have been)...

Latvijas eiro sudraba moneta Baltijas cels 25 Ar defektu DealerAntique small

It is 100% sure that there are no pieces of fell-off colour in the round plastic capsule and this capsule is for 100% in the same condition national bank sold it to me. Nobody has ever opened or made any changes to it or coin!
At the place, where should be colours of 3rd flag, there is nothing: no dots of colour, no scratches, no dust, no traces of chemicals (cleaners or something), nothing. Just silver.
I think this error was made in mint and somehow passed all quality tests for coin to be called Proof (!) in mint and national bank and was sold to collector- me. (Sometime people don't see simple things that are in front of their eyes...)

I informed national bank about this situation and they gave me an answer that this is an error and there should not be coins with 2/3 of colours in 3rd flag missing. National bank also confirmed that this is the only case known.

Due to the fact that none of the collectors I know have ever seen or heard anything about this type of error, I started to search on internet. I wasn't able to find any information about this kind of errors...

I hope you can give me some ideas about my case. I wanted to understand:

1) Is this kind of error (not fully coloured elements in Proof (!) coins) considered to be rare between Proof (!) dollars, euros, pounds, rubles etc.?

2) Is this kind of error collectable?
3) Is this kind of error considered to be more valuable than typical errors (broadstrikes, off-centers, double strikes in collars, off-metals etc.)?
4) Are there known worldwide examples between Proof (!) dollars, euros, pounds, rubles etc. with this kind of mint error? (for example- coin with American flag missing blue colour; coin with colibri bird with wings left silver white etc.)

All this situation is something completely new for me. I have never ever before read so many articles about coin errors than during last 7 days.

Thank you very much for your time and answers!
Have a good day!

I have a very complicated case, maybe you could help me to find answers.

I have a commemorative silver 5 Euro coin issued this year in original round plastic capsule. Coin was issued by national bank in Proof (!) quality and issue limit was 10 000 coins.

National bank informed collectors that design of this coin will contain 3 national flags that will be in colours. There are no other designs- just this one with 3 flags in colours.

Coin I bought from national bank was with error in its design- 2/3 of colours in 3rd flag were missing (colour is missing on 22.2% of surface where it should have been)...

It is 100% sure that there are no pieces of fell-off colour in the round plastic capsule and this capsule is for 100% in the same condition national bank sold it to me. Nobody has ever opened or made any changes to it or coin!

At the place, where should be colours of 3rd flag, there is nothing: no dots of colour, no scratches, no dust, no traces of chemicals (cleaners or something), nothing. Just silver.

I think this error was made in mint and somehow passed all quality tests for coin to be called Proof (!) in mint and national bank and was sold to collector- me. (Sometime people don't see simple things that are in front of their eyes...)

I informed national bank about this situation and they gave me an answer that this is an error and there should not be coins with 2/3 of colours in 3rd flag missing. National bank also confirmed that this is the only case known.

Due to the fact that none of the collectors I know have ever seen or heard anything about this type of error, I started to search on internet. I wasn't able to find any information about this kind of errors...

I hope you can give me some ideas about my case. I wanted to understand:

1) Is this kind of error (not fully coloured elements in Proof (!) coins) considered to be rare between Proof (!) dollars, euros, pounds, rubles etc.?

2) Is this kind of error collectable?

3) Is this kind of error considered to be more valuable than typical errors (broadstrikes, off-centers, double strikes in collars, off-metals etc.)?

4) Are there known worldwide examples between Proof (!) dollars, euros, pounds, rubles etc. with this kind of mint error? (for example- coin with American flag missing blue colour; coin with colibri bird with wings left silver white etc.)

All this situation is something completely new for me. I have never ever before read so many articles about coin errors than during last 7 days.

Thank you very much for your time and answers!

Have a good day!

1. Error coins of NCLT are generally scarcer than error coins on regular coinage since they are more carefully inspected, though, as with anything, human error can always result in an error getting out.

2. Yes, but see also #4 below.

3. No answer, since even the examples you gave all vary considerably.

4. Coloured coins are relatively new, and almost all are NCLT issues, so errors on them would be few, only because the number of coloured coins relative to non-colored coins is low.

That being said, the main issue with a colored coin missing one or more parts of the color is that it would be somewhat difficult to prove that it came without colouring (rather than being removed) and so would likely only be accepted (at least in North America) if a certification company guaranteed it.

1. Error coins of NCLT are generally scarcer than error coins on regular coinage since they are more carefully inspected, though, as with anything, human error can always result in an error getting out.

4. Coloured coins are relatively new, and almost all are NCLT issues, so errors on them would be few, only because the number of coloured coins relative to non-colored coins is low.

That being said, the main issue with a colored coin missing one or more parts of the color is that it would be somewhat difficult to prove that it came without colouring (rather than being removed) and so would likely only be accepted (at least in North America) if a certification company guaranteed it.

I agree with ccg on this.

Thank you very much for answers!

This might be one of the first publiced cases with colour partly missing.

I don't fully understand term "scarcer". Could you please explain it?

• 1 month later...