CoinPeople.com

US 2012 Mint Sets and Proof Sets - Pricing????

Art1.2

I haven't paid much attention to these for a while - my mind has been focused elsewhere. So I'm getting my collection up to day and I'll need a 2012 Mint Set and a normal and silver 2012 Proof set -- WOW! The prices are absurdly high on these.

So help me please. What's going on with the 2012 coins that is driving this price hike? Best I can see it has something to do with the Presidential Dollars in the set.

The only article I've been able to find so far talks about the lower sales of sets during the 2012 offering period and gives that as a reason for the secondary market price increases. Maybe so. Anyone know anything else that might be going on here?

http://www.coinworld.com/articles/looking-at-winners-among-recent-u-s-mint-issu

The only article I've been able to find so far talks about the lower sales of sets during the 2012 offering period and gives that as a reason for the secondary market price increases. Maybe so. Anyone know anything else that might be going on here?

http://www.coinworld.com/articles/looking-at-winners-among-recent-u-s-mint-issu

A different distribution method may possibly be.

Consider the 1996 silver eagle - it books at considerably higher than the 1997 and others despite its mintage not actually being low enough to justify it's multiple value. Apparently there was a distribution issue there that resulted in people willing to pay a higher premium then to get it, and the premium since just got stuck and actually increased on an overinflated presumption of scarcity.

A different distribution method may possibly be.

Consider the 1996 silver eagle - it books at considerably higher than the 1997 and others despite its mintage not actually being low enough to justify it's multiple value. Apparently there was a distribution issue there that resulted in people willing to pay a higher premium then to get it, and the premium since just got stuck and actually increased on an overinflated presumption of scarcity.

Could be the same case. I'm just in a tough spot on these. I'm not willing to pay the exorbitant prices but I'd really like to get my sets up to date and keep them there. So maybe the 2012 coins will have to wait until I either get more money I'm willing to spend or they come down in price.