CoinPeople.com

Coin Roll Hunters Post Your Finds...

Scottishmoney

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my local banks does the same thing with rolls. They open them into bags and then ship them off for wrapping. They don't seem to mind as they always seem to have a wealth of trainee tellers hanging about.

One of my local banks does the same thing with rolls. They open them into bags and then ship them off for wrapping. They don't seem to mind as they always seem to have a wealth of trainee tellers hanging about.

I convinced my credit unions that that activity was a waste of talented minds. One of the young and blonde tellers still goes through some of the rolls herself - she said she was "bored" and wanted something to do. And then she handed me her finds, early wheat cents. I suggested she should collect them herself - since they can be a perk of the job.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went to a credit union today, they called yesterday with a huge deposit. They weren't ready when I got there so popped on over to the grocery store to check out produce. Oh, and the Coinstar. A 1945-D Merc was waiting forlorn and unloved in the reject slot.

At the bank, got $800 in dimes - found four silver, including a 1939 Merc, a 1946, 1954-D, and a 1964. Did $150 in nickels and the best find was a '38-D, no silver though. Searched $75 in cents and found - another IHC - a 1903, probably in G-4 condition but nice all the while the fifth example of an IHC I have found since November. Cashing out the castoffs at my other credit union they only had a half dollar for me, teller said it wasn't silver and I probably wouldn't want it. Asked to see it anyway, sure enough a 1967 40%. Had to have it, of course.

Oh, the litany continues. With new job, coin searching has taken a back seat - but I have been slowly going through them. From $25 in CWR cents last night found a 1903 IHC two 1936 Lincs, and 5 other 40s 50s wheats. Not sure where all these IHC's are coming from - I have been finding them like gangbusters the past few months.

Have another $50 in CWR cents, but may tack them tomorrow or something.

But my new job has a new benefit - travelling around my area and checking grocery stores I get to visit the big green machine. Another post.

I almost cheet my breeches tonight:

Yesterday I found a 1903 IHC in $25 worth of cents from my credit union. Something has been going on lately, Barber dimes in the coinstar machine, a Merc yesterday in the coin machine. The other day I got $50 in CWR cents from another branch of the credit union that have been sitting in the dining room waiting to be searched because I was too busy with work. So a slow night and don't have to be up as early in the morn I decided to peak at the rolls:

Here was the little darling in the second roll I broke open....

42414crh1858fe.jpg

IHC's I have found about 17 of them since 2010, never ever thought I would see a CN, let alone an FE. This is in miserable shape - but it is my new record for the oldest coin found roll searching and my first FE cent. The credit union tellers are going to have a better than the usual treat for my finds this time. Thinking they may have to have lunch.

I almost cheet my breeches tonight:

Yesterday I found a 1903 IHC in $25 worth of cents from my credit union. Something has been going on lately, Barber dimes in the coinstar machine, a Merc yesterday in the coin machine. The other day I got $50 in CWR cents from another branch of the credit union that have been sitting in the dining room waiting to be searched because I was too busy with work. So a slow night and don't have to be up as early in the morn I decided to peak at the rolls:

Here was the little darling in the second roll I broke open....

42414crh1858fe.jpg

IHC's I have found about 17 of them since 2010, never ever thought I would see a CN, let alone an FE. This is in miserable shape - but it is my new record for the oldest coin found roll searching and my first FE cent. The credit union tellers are going to have a better than the usual treat for my finds this time. Thinking they may have to have lunch.

WOW! What a wonderful find. You are really spurring my feeling to start searching rolls again.

• 1 month later...

Been awhile, too lazy to post after all the long days at work but yesterday in $46 worth of nickels found a 1950-D in AU condition!

Great find!! :bthumbsup::bthumbsup::bthumbsup:

Did $100 in halves -- no finds.

• 1 year later...

89 "silvers" in my first box of halves???

I ordered 2 boxes of halves from Wells Fargo a few weeks ago on a whim. I'd seen youtube vids of coin roll pickers and thought it looked like a fun hobby. I didn't expect to find much, but was surprised to find 87 x 40% silver pieces (yrs 65 thru 69), and one 1960 Franklin in my first box.

The second box was more like what I anticipated... 4 x 40%, and 1 Franklin.

Originally I set out looking only for silver. But since my fisrt box yeilded way more than expexcted, I thought I should try to find out what else of value could be in there before I deposit the coins back to the bank.

Any suggestions?

Hello and welcome to CoinPeople and the great hobby of roll searching. That's a fantastic find. Unless you're trying to put together a collection of JFKs there's not much other than silver and the special coins that you'll find worth keeping. Commemorative halves will show from time to time along with Franklins and Liberty's. Have lots of fun.

• 3 years later...

I still hunt!   My daughters have taken an interest through my activities.  My second oldest found it enjoyable to search my quarter rolls for Statehood and ATB quarters to admire and research about.  Second youngest became very interested after our DDO find last year.  She's now a member of CONECA and is planning on eventually writing an article about the find.

It is unfortunate that many hunters were just in it for the "silver rush".  There are so many other things you can (and will with some persistence) still find in rolls:  DDO/Rs, RPMs, OMMs, off-centers, rotated dies, various planchet errors, clashes, etc, etc.  It's not "for the money", it's for the enjoyment! 😍

I agree! I haven't searched a roll in a decade probably, very much because I think everything is picked over! I doubt I'll ever see a wheatie in circulation again :(

I regularly get rolls of dollars and/or quarters for the bus; haven't had a good hit in a quarter roll for a *long* time, excepting one or two bicentennial quarters in AU to AU+ condition.  And of course I go through them before putting any in my pocket!  I mean, it's just possible to hit something interesting.  And if they've got rolls of halves, I'll always snatch up a few.  Just 'cause.

But nickels, dimes and/or pennies?  No, haven't done those in ages.