CoinPeople.com

Where do you buy your coins and notes?

thedeadpoint

Where do you buy your coins and notes?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you buy your coins and notes?

• Small store in my city. You probably wouldn't notice it if you didn't know it was there
    • Bigger store in my city. You might have seen their ads in coin magazines
    • Local coin club
    • Local/regional coin shows
    • National coin shows
    • Auctions in person
    • Online stores
    • eBay
    • Online auctions - e.g. Heritage
    • Through networks I've made
    • Other - please explain below

Where do you buy your coins and notes??

On Wednesday, I got to go to the local coin shop, one of my few visits each year. You wouldn't know it was a coin shop if you passed it on the road. It's not big and it's rare I find something I need there. Regardless, I love going in and browsing.

It's basically my only option. There are no other coin dealers in this town I know of. Scratch that - there's a very well known, well advertised, national dealer just a couple of miles from my house. Actually, two. However, they just use the space to manage their inventory, they don't operate a showroom for a browser like me.

Most of my big buys are done at the Baltimore Coin Convention... If I'm not already busy that weekend...

In short, I like buying my coins and notes in person. The hunt is fun. I want something that catches my eye as I will be keeping it for a long, long time.

If I want a coin or note that is certified, I'll buy it on Heritage. I've never used eBay. And I've been fortunate enough to make some good deals with you guys.

LCS up in Westerville. There are two others in the area, but I stopped patronizing them when their owners decided their politics were more important than a comfortable customer environment.

I've had good luck on eBay, although that's only for lesser purchases, impulse buys, and coins where the condition is less important than the coin itself. Serious coins, like for the fallow but still active Jefferson Project, I want to see in person before laying down my money, so those are always from the LCS or the annual state coin show.

• 2 weeks later...

Coin shows, I'm lucky enough to have at least 1 a month I can get to.

Online stores, some few, Vcoins or MAshops

through my clubs, 2 have an auction at the meeting, an online club, Ancient Peddler holds a weekly chat room based live auction (look for them on facebook for details)

from people who call me up and want to know if I buy coins... somehow my phone number is on the internet if you search for coin buyers in our area... I do buy them so it works out

I sell them on ebay and ebid if they don't meet my needs....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Most of the coins I have ever got have been at small obscure stores in either my city or in other cities while I am traveling. Searching internet for places to buy coins has surprisingly not yielded anything worthwhile. I am looking for a place to buy coin on my trip to Abu Dhabi but haven't been able to find anything! I am sure there must be dozens of sources in each major city......they just don't show up on internet.

I use ebay a lot for coin purchases, other things too. I try to use reputable sellers and have had very good overall experiences. Of course the types of material I am purchasing lends itself to a pretty clean purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

If I was going to drop serious money (in my case, anything more than $20) on a single coin I would need to see it in person first, but eBay is vital for my birth year collection. Lots of foreigns that just don't turn up in the ol' LCS, or that I'd have to wait for the state show in September, can be had quite reasonably online. I do make a point of always checking feedback, though. There have been a couple times that I've been scared off of pulling the trigger because of a sudden wave of negative feedbacks in the last month, or because a certain geographic region has recently or chronically been unstable -- I had to let a few things I wanted go recently (couple really nice pieces of space race memorabilia from the Soviet side) because they were in Ukraine, and I want to let things settle down over there first.

Otherwise, if I see 100% over a decent number of feedbacks, or if the value is so low I'm not going to suffer for the loss, I generally don't worry about it.

• 1 month later...