CoinPeople.com

baby George

freak

I'm not sure about new coins but there is a dedicated set and a £1 coin that has been issued. The set can be seen here, vastly overpriced if you ask me.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Prince Chuck was likely to choose his fourth name George as his regnal name since the name Charles (along with John, Henry and Edward) is considered... let's say 'historically unfortunate' considering the first holder was beheaded and the second presided over the Great Fire of London and the Black Death (which weren't his fault) and was known for scandalous behavior, siring scads of illegitimate children (which were). And of course Bonnie Prince Charlie is already associated with the name Charles III. So he may very well be George VII rather than Charles III. It's not without precedent even in the recent monarchy -- both Edward VII and George VI were Alberts, and Victoria was actually Alexandrina. Still, having been known publicly as Charles for so long, he may feel compelled to stick with it.

More entertaining is the idea of choosing his third name, and becoming King Arthur II... but I don't think he wants to set up that kind of comparison. And I'm not sure he's even required to choose one of his given names. There hasn't been a Stephen for a while... or an Æthelstan, for that matter. :)

More entertaining is the idea of choosing his third name, and becoming King Arthur II... but I don't think he wants to set up that kind of comparison. And I'm not sure he's even required to choose one of his given names. There hasn't been a Stephen for a while... or an Æthelstan, for that matter. :)

Stephen would be another historically unlucky name, as I recall.