CoinPeople.com

Got another hammered to identify

ScottO

got this in a small bunch of hammered for a Fiver (BIN newly listed \o/) along with a very wrn henry III short cross that was broke and a worn cut half of the same monarch

this one

684984121_o.jpg

684984089_o.jpg

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=457104&image=684984079&images=684984079,684984089,684984096,684984108,684984114,684984121,684984132,684984140&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0

link to rest. if they are not Henry III do tell me ;)

and back to the pictured coin.

the crown has stars on either side. of the crown (if they are stars)

as there are so many differant markings it is diffuclt to pinpoint.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The short-cross coin is Henry III. I don't have my books handy or I'd ID the moneyer (or try to). It has NICE detail. The other two aren't so nice. The cut half would be hard to ID with certainty. The 1/2 penny (?) is probably Edward IV but I don't have my reference - just going on my gut feeling here.

Nice pickups Scott. You might try a pm to YeOldeCollector asking him to take a look at this post. Clive's been very busy and might have missed it.

The complete coin in the above picture is a local die issue of Henry VI, York ecclesiastical mint. Mullet or cinquefoil by crown and quatrefoil in centre of reverse. Most likely Rosette-mascle or Pinecone-mascle issue.

The more complete of the two shortcross pennies has the moneyer Henri on London mint. Looks like a John but is too beaten-up to be sure from these photographs.

I hope this helps. :)