CoinPeople.com

help with 1971 quarter

scotttt1970

Hi I found this quarter while metal detecting the other day and the odd thing is it rings as nickel, pull tab or gold instead of the normal quarter, dime, or penny tone. It weighs 1 gram heavier than a normal quarter and is the exact width as a nickel. I thought at first it was a dryer coin but common since tells me that the being a dryer coin would not make the coin gain weight. I am leaning towards maybe a fake but the detail makes me think other wise, I will post pictures of the coin, just to let you know that when I scanned it, it almost made it look like the inprints were incuse, but I asure you they are raised just looks that way in the scan for some reason, Any information would be much appreciated , Thanks in advance. 20130601_Scan_Pic0039-Copy.jpg 20130601_Scan_Pic00392_opt.jpg 20130602_Scan_Pic0039.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It does appear to be a modern counterfeit. I've seen similar that were produced in China and have the same smooth edge with the same chopped metal slug look. Most counterfeits are made of steel or a base amalgam of nickel and copper mixed with tin or lead or some other junk metal. They all have a grainy texture under magnification around the devices.

I don't think I would waste my time counterfieting a quarter. Cost that much to make

The Chinese had counterfeited many coins including modern coins for a long time now. It doesn't cost much to make them, especially since I've also seen counterfeited US cent coins from the same region. Why counterfeit a cent? Who knows, but it made them money, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered.

You are going with the supposition that counterfeiting is about the $$.

Henning held a grudge, & tried to pull off w/the 5c, what he couldn't with the $5.

It all about what drives you.

You are going with the supposition that counterfeiting is about the $$.

Henning held a grudge, & tried to pull off w/the 5c, what he couldn't with the $5.

It all about what drives you.

Although that's true, and there are many cases of this happening over the span of history, I don't think anything but money motivates modern counterfeiters. My favorite examples of flooding counterfeits are the colonial era half pennies and the Confederate currencies. They weren't trying to make money (I mean they did but...), it was about ruining the value of the available monies. The nickels are a fun example too mainly because of the shear numbers involved. Hehe.