CoinPeople.com

Recent Jamaica Proof Sets - Which Exist?

Britcoin

Do any readers have further information?

I have tracked these and managed to find the following dates:

1996 - was on ebay, and did not win

I have not found the 1991 or 2002 listed in Krause, the 1996 there was no record of until about two months ago one sold on ebay. By repute a collector in South Africa has the 1991 which I have not seen. Are there any other dates?

Kind of fun chasing them, but they certainly are NOT attractive, what with boring portraits of National heroes on the lesser bits and VERY ugly renditions on the larger crown. I suspect there are not a lot of currency bits being produced now that the Jamaican dollar has essentially fallen in the toilet for value (I believe about 200/US 1 Dollar).

If I'm remembering correctly the Jamaica Proofs and big coins were done by the Franklin Mint. You might find them in listings of Franklin Mint stuff for sale vs. coins for sale.

Franklin Mint stopped them in 1984 year, and then the Royal Mint took over. They have not responded to my requests for information.

That's good to know. I wasn't up to speed on any of this. Please keep sharing the info as you get it.

I have another question related to these sets. The Royal Mint after 1985 (mintage 1000 sets) says something to the effect of "500 authorized". Now how many were actually struck, how many released?

They are a bit tricky and I know (and have purchased) sets from Bank of Jamaica that were nearly 20 years old - and they denied knowledge of how they got there or how many they had or what years they had. Yikes!

Does anybody know the answer? They also struck sets for countries such as Cayman islands where the 1984-88 mintages were quite low. Not sure if the reported mintages of 200-318 are accurate either, at least as to final AVAILABLE number sets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Update is that I have now obtained the 1999 "Millennium Crown" entire set. Boring National Hero series but possibly rare??

Only sets missing are the 1997 and 2002 - the later may not exist, and the former is only known from a picture in a bulletin. If any readers know anything of these two sets, I would be interested in pictures or stories to share.

Maybe Krause will add the missing dates in sets.

I still have been unable to confirm whether the "mintage authorised" had anything necessarily to do with how many were actually released and sold - in other words, net number released to public and not melted or recalled or lost for whatever reason. What is the real mintage of some of these.

My experience is that not all dates are equally accessible even when mintage limits or authorization is identical.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks, this is the kind of stuff collectors like: prowling around the old stock of Central Banks for 20-30 yr old sets & dredging up remainders of poorly publicized and rare bits at decent prices!

First Love is truly Late copper and silver milled, 1837-1965 but very little around that fits my collection at civilized prices…LOL

• 3 months later...

I have read this thread with interest since I collect Jamaica proof sets with a passion. I have every set since 1969 excluding 1986 which does not exist, don't ask me why and 1996 which I've never seen. I also need 1998, 1999 and 2000. I'm fairly certain there is nothing after 2001. Would it be great if either the Royal Mint or the Bank of Jamaica could issue a definitive statement to thus effect. These institutions produce coins for us collectors but then offer such poor customer service in this regard. I hope I'm as successful as britcoin in tracking down missing coins.

I have read this thread with interest since I collect Jamaica proof sets with a passion. I have every set since 1969 excluding 1986 which does not exist, don't ask me why and 1996 which I've never seen. I also need 1998, 1999 and 2000. I'm fairly certain there is nothing after 2001. Would it be great if either the Royal Mint or the Bank of Jamaica could issue a definitive statement to thus effect. These institutions produce coins for us collectors but then offer such poor customer service in this regard. I hope I'm as successful as britcoin in tracking down missing coins.

That's fantastic! Can you share some of these with us?

Welcome to CoinPeople! We look forward to learning from you

This is a very exciting hunt, even if the coins themselves are not that spectacular - IMO the National Heroes series of coins are very dull and lifeless and the included crowns less than spectacular with plenty of poorly executed sports events, soccer championships, etc.

The Royal Mint less than helpful, and even poor results from B. of Jamaica - I tried sweet talk, flirting, etc. and did manage to somehow shake out a 1999 set . The others are REALLY tough, the '97 perhaps the toughest with the '96 and '98 very difficult.

As was stated, I can not seem to get confirmation of ACTUAL number of sets struck and released. I can not prove but strongly suspect that some years are quite a bit scarcer than others despite all having an authorized mintage of 500 sets for all but the '85 (1,000).

• 2 months later...

No further information about sets, although the 2002 crown did appear on ebay last month (lost that one) - no wonder it is not popular as the theme was "2002 World JUNIOR Track and Field Championships"! That is a really poor event IMO to memorialize on a coin. So it is possible the set exists for 2002 even though there are none at Bank of Jamaica and nobody there has heard of it. Royal Mint still does not respond to enquiry about which years were struck and what the NET numbers struck were.

This is important as the authorized mintage is not necessarily the final mintage as we know, at least with respect to the RM.

• 3 months later...

Update Jamaica Proof Sets: None. LOL!

This STILL remains an enigmatic series. All dates 1987 through 2001 confirmed, along with the 1985 and all from the Royal Mint. 1970-1984 from Franklin Mint.

The extremely rare sets are 1996-1999, with 1991 & 2001 just behind. The 2002? Good luck, and post me if you should run across any more information.

• 1 year later...

18 months after my first and last post on this forum i am making my 2nd post. I have followed Britcoins quest with envy as he has gobbled up target after target. I am still no nearer getting the 1998, 1999 & 2000 sets that I need. I do have the 1996, 1997 and 1991 which i agree with Britcoin are hard to get. As for the 2002 I agree I would pay good money for a photo :-) as i too do not believe this exists. It would appear the Bank of Jamaica has given up on making any more proof sets although they still churn out the occassional silver and golf proofs. Normally to celebrate, quite rightly their outstanding athletic prowess - hence the commemoration of the World Junior Championships - this was the event that launch Usian Bolt, so maybe they had a feeling he was going to be great! Back to my coin quest - if anyone can help with those 3 sets i would be most grateful ... Have fun collectiing ....

Sorry that I can't help you with your sets. I admire you quest and dedication to finding them. Best of luck in your hunt.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, good to see a post from Jamaicacoincollector. I still have not seen the 2002 proof set; I suspect it exists because of the crown which is of the type and dimensions of the crowns from the previous decade to that & that the other types from 2001 were still evidently struck. Not a lot of collectors of this stuff, but at least a couple of enthusiasts (Jcc and I) out there.

I got an extra 1991 just because it is scarce to rare and because the price was right - must be crazy!

• 1 month later...

I have inquired again about the above point of the Royal Mint just this last week and will report on results. I have specifically asked them if the 2002 set was struck, and if the authorized mintage was how many actually made and DELIVERED - in other words just how many were made for collectors.

I suspect this will have an "umbrella" effect for understanding mintages by the Royal Mint for many of their foreign customers. I have always wondered if there was a sellout of issues such as the Tyco Brahe commemorative, an absurd commemorative that seems to only appear very occasionally. Many other examples as well.