CoinPeople.com

Peter I Russian Fake Rouble on eBay 1712 and 1724

extant4cell

Two Peter I roubles on eBay - obvious fake. Contacted seller, he doesn't care to add to description that it is not an original. Reported to eBay, still they keep the listings:

http://www.ebay.com/...E:X:RTQ:US:1123

http://www.ebay.com/...E:X:RTQ:US:1123

Beware!

After contacting the seller and getting nowhere I just opened the auction and there is a link there "report this item" i think, just need to look for it on the page. I don't know about other, but you probably right, there may be other fakes there...

Don't get me wrong here as I hate counterfeits myself.

My question is towards buyers who seem to have too much money to spend on such counterfeits - are catalogs just not worth it?

You ask a very good question. I have seen some truly laughable fakes being bid up to the most ridiculous levels. This often applies to ugly looking trade dollars with the wrong reverse and 1914-D cents that obviously started off life as 1944-D before tampering. The fact is that buyers should learn about coins and the pitfalls before ever bidding for them, but they often don't.

I do make a habit of reporting what I see but my son often tells me to stop wasting time and stop getting wound up and to stop protecting others from themselves. Sometimes, when I tip buyers off when I discover that they are victims and they can't even be bothered to thank me, I wonder whether my son may well have a point!

Good points. I guess you can waste a lot of time this way, but the buyer who is a simple "investor" will still find a fake to buy, as they believe that it is a real bargan! A lot of them can not tell the fake from coin even with a catalog, but in their defence I can also say that some fakes are too close to originals and it may be too easy to get fooled if you don't have experience and people to ask for advice. I guess they sell fake GUCI and other brands, and some people buy this stuff even knowing what it is, as it saves them money. I guess if you look at this issue from this angle, the fakes dealers doing the service to these people saving them money. But if you really think about this, it doesn't really make much sense...

• 4 weeks later...

I think our friend has a new coin up, but I can't remember if this is the same seller since the links with the original post have been removed from Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Imperial-Russia-2-Kopeiki-1797-Paul-I-Very-RARE-coins-Original-coins-/330842787198?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item4d07c44d7e