CoinPeople.com

What does it mean by "100 mills"?

Hello, I am new to coin collecting. I have seen some coins advertised along the lines of "24k gold 100 mills". What does the 100 mills refer to? I tried searching online and found nothing (I guess the word mills is too generic).

They're gold plated - the reference is to the thickness of the plating. Generally speaking, most items advertised as such are generally items that I would suggest be bought only if you appreciate them artistically, as collectibility and resale value is generally very limited.

Plating is done chemically and doesn't involve gold leaf, which would be gilding.

Regardless, as an undefined term, "100 mills" to one manufacturer or retailer may not be the same as "100 mills" to another. I can only repeat my previous advice to ignore gold content (since any would be very limited in value, perhaps several pence) and simply buy an item if you will enjoy it.

It's mils, M-I-L-S. A mil is 0.001 inch. So 100 mils is about one-tenth of an inch, which, in turn, sounds way too high for gold plating. See "mil" in Wikipedia.

I understand that yes, "mil" is a unit of thickness as well as a general term for 1/1000 (occasionally seen in currency, if if I remember correctly, in Canada is monetarily defined as $0.001), but the question here is "mills" M-I-L-L-S, as seen on a lot of private mint products.