CoinPeople.com

US$2 in Zimbabwe

ccg

Very interesting article. Since they have switched to the US dollar perhaps they need to start importing dollar and half dollar coins. We have no shortage of them and could use to clear them out of the vaults.

Frankly, I'm surprised some of the larger merchants haven't started circulating scrip - I suppose that it's considered more profitable to essentially force customers to buy more (additional things they don't need) than to have happy customers.

If the political situation wasn't what it is right now, I would think that for an NGO to import $1m in dimes and halves might do a significant amount of good for the populace.

It's too bad that politics essentially prevents them from doing what Ecuador did in minting their own small change (which circulates alongside sacs and the odd other US coins). I do find it very interesting that the $2 seems to circulate much, while in Ecuador, $2s are generally rejected out of lack of recognition.

• 7 months later...

Just a little bit off topic (but not so much) European Union, British, South African anche Botswana's coins circulate, as well

mi piace la parola "anche" :-)

I see more and more Euros around Africa these days. The 5 Euro note is, of course, very popular.

When I was staying in Ecuador, where US$ is legal tender, everyone used the new US dollar coins. They imported something like 100,000,000 of them.

The Zims should do the same.

They like them so much in Ecuador that the Colombian cartels, maybe even FARC are counterfeiting them now. They even artificially age them to give them the heavily circulated look to give them that look of authenticity.

When I was staying in Ecuador, where US$ is legal tender, everyone used the new US dollar coins. They imported something like 100,000,000 of them.

The Zims should do the same.

I was in Ecuador many years ago, and they used their own coins, of 5, 25, 50 centavos of the date "año 2000" but I don't know if still is used.

I was in Ecuador many years ago, and they used their own coins, of 5, 25, 50 centavos of the date "año 2000" but I don't know if still is used.

My last trip there was in 2005 and 2006 before our base at Manta closed (and moved to Aruba...) They did circulate some of their own coins too, but all the currency was US (ditto Panama and El Salvador IME)

My last trip there was in 2005 and 2006 before our base at Manta closed (and moved to Aruba...) They did circulate some of their own coins too, but all the currency was US (ditto Panama and El Salvador IME)

Yes, their coins are =to U.S. dollars. My father was also in El Salvador and they only had their own coins, but were valued in U.S. dollars.

For 1c-50c, both US and Ecuadorian coins are used. The $1 is usually the Sac. dollar, though I believe they've also been bringing in presidential dollars of late. $1s bills IIRC are not used much. I guess it's kind of like the 5DM bill in pre-2000 Germany, where the coin was preferred.

Small change seems to be hoarded for some reason, though, and having rolls of quarters and $1s goes a long way.

• 2 weeks later...