CoinPeople.com

Medals of Daniel Dupuis

jlueke

Does anyone know the standards used when striking medals in the 19th century? I have been weighing my pieces and in some instances I have duplicates of a type. While the diameters are consistent the weight is not. The two Jules Grevy medals shown below weigh 165.9g and 150.2g respectively. Two of the Monnaie de Paris type come in at 58.25g and 60.9g. Obviously not being coins maybe +-10% is just the way it worked especially for the base metal medals. I'll have to see if I have two silver versions of the same type.

DSC03903.JPG

DSC03921.JPG

It's interesting that they'd have different weights. I'd have thought that production would have pretty much dictated the size and thereby also the weight within a very small tolerance.

They were produced over time in some cases so it could be that each batch was consistent but across batches there was more variance since the weight didn't matter for any economic reason.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are two new medals. The first is from the Amsterdam World's Fair. This one Dupuis did just the reverse as it's unsigned it doesn't often show in searches for Dupuis but once I looked for Amsterdam Exposition it wasn't so difficult

DSC04119.JPG

Then this one is a civil issue for one of the river departments for which Dupuis executed several medals. This one is the Department de la Seine

DSC04123.JPG

Both are very nice. Seems an interesting direction to collect. I know I'm enjoying your pictures.

Thanks Art. Those were quick pics so the focus isn't ideal, I need to retake those.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

here's an example of Jean Baptiste Daniel-Dupuis's work in the form of a jeton struck for the shareholders /directors of the `Compagnie des Mines a Charbon D'Aniche'(Aniche coal mines). This example was actually struck circa 1890. 

As an aside, what has happened to the images that were attached to some of the posts in this thread (?)

1035686.jpg