CoinPeople.com

1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition

bill

More nice additions to your collection Bill. Do you have this collection displayed anywhere?

More nice additions to your collection Bill. Do you have this collection displayed anywhere?

No, it sits in my safe, but I'm working on a new so-called dollar catalog with Jeff Shevlin that will cover the expositions of the west coast. I tend to collect items that I am currently researching and writing about or thinking about writing about. I started this collection when I started our latest publication project. I've also been collecting the 1905 Lewis and Clark Exposition, but I haven't gotten around to posting that set as yet.

I can see now that I had better start that new wing of my library for Bills books! And a new area for my soon to be added Exonumia Collection, Thanks alot Guys! Just keep posting those cool tokens and informative topics and I will be hooked in no time.

• 3 months later...

New additions to the AYPE collection:

A button or cuff link.

1005095.jpg

and an encased 1909 Indian Head cent (a mate for my 1909 VDB Lincoln cent)

1007766.jpg

The official medals struck by the mint at the exposition were issued in silver, bronze, copper, and gold-plated. The last three are struck on the same base planchets with three different finishes applied. My set was likely assembled by a collector some years ago and then placed in their current box. I speculate that it is not an original set as issued and the jeweler's logo in the box is from a Tronto jeweler and likely dates to the late 1800s. Still, it makes for an impressive presentation. The silver and gold-plated versions of the medal are difficult items to find, the gold-plated perhaps the most difficult.

7001381938_57bc268fd7_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm starting to get serious about adding pieces so a couple more:

Hibler & Kappen's 366, an R6 so-called dollar (21 to 75 known):

1008717.jpg

and a smaller Chief Seattle token (the first I have seen):

1008505.jpg

I have a few more pieces coming that I will post after they arrive.

I tend to get hooked when I'm researching and cataloging as reflected in my purchasing patterns.

New additions to the collection:

HK 366A

1008828.jpg

and HK 367

7497493640_cd3131c7a7_z.jpg

and a charm with the same design as on the button pictured above:

7491699376_d12e490922_z.jpg

The other pair is part of the cataloging effort to move beyond what is currently in the catalogs. Two high grade pieces help understand whether a variety (MANUFACTURES misspelled as MANUFACTURFS) is actually a variety or a different die pair. Turns out is is a different die pair and the die was partially filled creating what appears to be a die error without careful study of a high grade specimen.

7497189198_99d3ae6bec_b.jpg

Finally, a hanging badge (larger than and somewhat different than the one on the ribbaon above. I've paired it with the design patent that covered the piece:

7430127784_26a07a62f8_c.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've made some more purchases over the past couple of months. Two are fobs made by Mayer & Bros. in Seattle. The encased chamber pot cent is always a favorite. The two hanger badges have so-called dollars attached. The final image is two pieces I really like, the Cloisonné sterling silver fob is a beauty. I don't normally collect the silver spoons, but the one pictured with the gold-plated bowl was too pretty to pass up.

7715095212_a7042b3643_c.jpg

7859313194_eed673872f_c.jpg

7859320446_d7f60f53a7_c.jpg

7859316312_d20a364271_c.jpg

7883060948_f5257a9bed_c.jpg