CoinPeople.com

eBay watch

alexbq2

Well it's a really bad fake of a 1707 poltina. Or maybe it's a real (or good fake; I cannot tell) 1703 poltina (Uzdenikov pairing В/б).

OK, I should quit being a wiseass: the seller misattributed the coin.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way would I do business with "no returns accepted."

It looks like Diakov 11 but has a raised bump between the left eagle head and the 1. (Disclaimer--I am no expert on spotting fakes... wait for someone else to chime in.)

But even if genuine, I'd not expect to get this piece in the mail, if "no returns" are "accepted"

No way would I do business with "no returns accepted."

It looks like Diakov 11 but has a raised bump between the left eagle head and the 1. (Disclaimer--I am no expert on spotting fakes... wait for someone else to chime in.)

But even if genuine, I'd not expect to get this piece in the mail, if "no returns" are "accepted"

The "no returns accepted." does cause me to be cautious, but is not always a case to dismiss the item. Remember BKB's Tynf?

Well, this one MIGHT be the real deal. It doesnt scream FAKE, and the photos seem ok at first look.

My 7th grade French (which was horrible 30 years ago)seems to indicate the coin was mounted, and two French guys verified the authenticity. It would seem the usual "I promise the coin is ,genuine, so you cant return it" translates quite clearly. Not a reassuring way to buy a rare coin, to be sure.

Has anyone dealt with an eBay seller who goes by the handle "collectresale" (Brooklyn, NY)? He/she appears to be selling that don't look like auctioned items I've seen on Russian websites. "No returns accepted."

4-26-2011 15-13-13.jpg

4-26-2011 15-13-47.jpg

BTW, I think I did see this coin on eBay a couple of days ago, and while I'm not sure about this specific coin, I am certain that the same seller had at least 1 fake coin for sale at the same time.

What do you Guys think about this one - http://rover.ebay.co...em=200600352414

I have seen coin before, possible 5-7 years ago on eBay some body sold this coin. From the image coin looks authentic , on 11 o'clock possible mounting removed ,but you have purchasing

for Great special price for today market and for one plus highest grade on the auction coin will cost $$$$$.

Coin remind me the time then I stop collecting poltinas :cry: .

Would love to see a coin after you receive it. Great buy Igor, congratulations!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, what would you make of this auction for a 1770 pyatak. I stared at the coin for quite a bit yesterday, and decided that it is not quite the old (pre 1770) style eagle. Today I was quite surprised with the auction's result:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574633083&toolid=10001&campid=5335826004&customid=&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&icep_item=270745271168

Hmm, what would you make of this auction for a 1770 pyatak. I stared at the coin for quite a bit yesterday, and decided that it is not quite the old (pre 1770) style eagle. Today I was quite surprised with the auction's result:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574633083&toolid=10001&campid=5335826004&customid=&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&icep_item=270745271168

eagle is 1763-1768 IMXO

I hope so :yes:

Will post more once it's here.

Sigi

-

potentialy this particular coin in this condition and yellow color is two grands value or more IMXO

my congratulation :bthumbsup:

:bthumbsup: Congratulations, Sigi! :art::clapping:

Thank you both!

I don't quite like the rough edge, did not obtain a picture of it .

Sigi

-

Please do! Actually, the funny thing is that I used your collection on Omnicoin to compare. :)

So I was looking at this coin of yours that you told me was not the 1763-1768 type eagle:

970347.jpg

Man, this is tricky. The difference is minute. I only think to have found the very rare old eagle. See my comparison below of what I bought at ~ $700 (still in the mails) and what actually can be had at eBay at a starting price of $1 (eBay link below picture). Did I waste my money? :confus: Let's wait till I have the coin in hand. There were my underbidders who drove the price up, wanting the coin. Note that I was the latest bidder (sniper). Nobody could shill. And last but not least there is one-kuna, an outstanding expert, who also thinks it to be the rare coin.

More to follow - best, Sigi

comparison5kop1770em.jpg

eBay coin still available:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320698027455&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It's definitely tricky!

When I saw the coin it was at $30 or so and I thought this is the old eagle. Then I looked at other coins, and became uncertain. There's some possibility of transitional eagles. Like eagle with one old wing and one new wing or old wings re-engraved into the new shape. At any rate, the next day it was it at $40, and I decided to put a snipe at double that price. And boy was I surprised when I saw how that auction ended. :D

P.S. The fact that there were at least 3 snipes above $100 is a convincing argument. While I was not certain enough to commit any significant amount. You were clearly not the only person who felt inclined to do so. This definitely sways my opinion towards the old eagle. I'll save the images for future reference. :)