CoinPeople.com

Opinions on 3 sets of Russian Coins 1898-1931

Rhino

I am currently in negotiations with a seller because I want to buy these 3 sets, and I am looking for insight about market value:

allsets.jpg

imperialfront.jpg

imperialback.jpg

1921front.jpg

1921back.jpg

1924front.jpg

1924back.jpg

I just wantd to get your opinion: how much would you pay for all of these together? We cannot seem to agree on a price. He's at around $250, and I'm at around $150, with neither of us backing down. After looking at references, similar ebay auctions, etc., I can't see more than $150 here... am I wrong? I really want these, they will fill many of the wholes in my current collection... Or is it just a stubborn seller? Do I have room to move up a bit, to maybe $175? $200? Sorry about the low quality photos, it's the best I have at this time.

List of the coins in these sets:

1898 Rouble

1899 50 Kopek

1908 20 Kopeks

1907 15 Kopeks

1912 10 Kopeks

1903 5 Kopeks.

1921 Rouble

1921 50 Kopeks

1923 20 Kopeks

1928 15 Kopeks

1923 10 Kopeks.

1924 Rouble

1927 50 Kopeks

1925 20 Kopeks

1925 15 Kopeks

1925 10 Kopeks.

:art:

I say make efforts of your own, find nice coins one at time if necessary and be happy with all the coins - not just set as whole unit. I am still doing my early USSR type set, and need the kopek of 1925 - not found one yet, but when I do it will be nice one.

Here are coins have so far:

1st Coins of RFSFR - USSR

Ruble is new coin to collection, only bought earlier this year as are denezhka and pyatak. I have extra ruble of that year if you interest to PM me about.

I say make efforts of your own, find nice coins one at time if necessary and be happy with all the coins - not just set as whole unit. I am still doing my early USSR type set, and need the kopek of 1925 - not found one yet, but when I do it will be nice one.

Here are coins have so far:

1st Coins of RFSFR - USSR

Ruble is new coin to collection, only bought earlier this year as are denezhka and pyatak. I have extra ruble of that year if you interest to PM me about.

Nice presentation Saor Alba :clapping:

I'm not sure I get your comment?

I don't care about the plastic presentation, just the coins... and I knwo they may be common coins, but I don't have them.

Please do not take my comment as an attempt at mirth at your expense. But these coins are inside of the presentation cases. Therefore, you must expect to pay extra to get them in that packaging. How much extra are you willing to pay for the packaging? Decide that for yourself, and add that value to what you would like to pay for the coins.

If you do not care for the packaging, and the seller does, then I join others in a suggestion that you pursue these coins in their raw form.

I don't think the packaging is worth anything. It looks like Littleton Coin Company packaging, not anything made by the USSR government... I think - anyone disagree?

It's really hard to tell by the bad pics what grade the coins are in. If they're just VF-AU, some cleaned, etc. - in other words, typical - I think $150 sounds about what I'd like to pay. But if any of the rubles are really UNC, or if a few of the minors are better, then I think it's easy to get to $250 as being reasonable. Incidentally, if I'm not mistaken, the seller of these sets has been trying to sell them on various coin forums for a couple years off and on, so that gives you an idea of what other folks thought of them. I wouldn't want to buy coins that half the collecting world already passed on. But then again, maybe everyone passed at $250 - $150 seems a whole lot safer - you'd probably be able to sell them fast at that price if you ever needed to. The more I think about it, I like your $150 number.

That said, none of these coins are scarce, so unless the coins are especially nice UNCs, if I were you, I'd save your money and instead of buying a bunch of ordinary coins, I'd buy one better one. If you keep your eyes open, there are a lot of scarce Russian coins that you can get on eBay or elsewhere for $150. Heck, that 1718 altyn I posted the other day, which is a scarce coin from a famous collection that a lot of collectors would want to own, cost me less than $30, which was a killer deal, but it was up for sale publicly for weeks before I got it, so that gives you an idea of what you can get if you patiently look. I just wouldn't be in a rush to buy anything. When in doubt, save your ducats, so that when something good does come along, you'll have money to buy it. I feel like that discipline to buy nice things, plus and the thrill of the hunt, is the essence of collecting.

It's like, to use a hunting metaphor, the difference between sitting quietly in your handmade bluff, doing everything you can to mask your scent and minimize your tracks, then waiting 18 hours for a huge trophy buck to take a sip of water at dawn at its favorite creek, and patiently leveling off the perfect kill shot with your compound bow at 20 yards, minimizing the pain to the animal, which you enter into a spiritual communion with when you eat it later, versus borrowing your buddy's 50 cal BMG and making a huge mess of the first buck you see and shoot from the window of your truck, turning a lot of good meat into red mist and doing something uncool, illegal, and immoral. The former is waiting patiently to buy a pedigreed 1718 altyn for $28.75; whereas the latter is basically what you'd be doing by paying $250 for those coins if they're in average grade. Well, sort of... Haha ;)

I'd trust your gut.

It's like, to use a hunting metaphor, the difference between sitting quietly in your handmade bluff, doing everything you can to mask your scent and minimize your tracks, then waiting 18 hours for a huge trophy buck to take a sip of water at dawn at its favorite creek, and patiently leveling off the perfect kill shot with your compound bow at 20 yards, minimizing the pain to the animal, which you enter into a spiritual communion with when you eat it later, versus borrowing your buddy's 50 cal BMG and making a huge mess of the first buck you see and shoot from the window of your truck, turning a lot of good meat into red mist and doing something uncool, illegal, and immoral. The former is waiting patiently to buy a pedigreed 1718 altyn for $28.75; whereas the latter is basically what you'd be doing by paying $250 for those coins if they're in average grade. Well, sort of... Haha ;)

These are some strange metaphors you are using, oregoncoin. I would think that coin collecting is a bit less bloody. That is, of course, unless you attend some of the more lively auctions. ;)

I don't think the packaging is worth anything. It looks like Littleton Coin Company packaging, not anything made by the USSR government... I think - anyone disagree?

Definitely some 3rd party packaging, but I'm sure they charged some premium when they sold these sets. I have no desire to buy them, but perhaps they appeal to someone else.

I see you're not wasting your time in Oregon! How did you get that Altyn for 28.75? Is that with the sales tax? :D

Nice presentation Saor Alba :clapping:

Yes, I agree with Coins Are Fun (btw, nice presentation on your website, too!), Saor Alba, you have an amazing collection! I read almost the whole Scottish section. Wow, I've never even seen pictures of a lot of those coins. Everything you have seems to be carefully-selected, from your awesome Texas note, to how your 17th century copper isn't porous, to your unusually nice Scottish gold coins. An excellent effort! Saved, along with Sigi's and Alexbq2's collections, as a "favorite." A couple of those Russian coins look familiar, too. :)

Thanks for all the opinions, I appreciate it. I agree with the idea of the "hunt" for the right coins, but these looked like the kind I'd be looking for (especially that toned 121 1 Rouble that I haven't seen many nice ones of), and it just completed so much for me at 1 time that I decided to buy the sets.

The seller and I finally agreed on $160 (plus $10 shipping) for all the sets, which I think isn't bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the 3 sets, and the coins look great. Well worth the money... Here is my favorite out of the sets:

1921 1 Rouble

IMG_3059-2.jpg

IMG_3062-2.jpg

1921RoubleFront.jpg

1921RoubleBack.jpg

The scanning couldn't pick up the amazing toning on this rouble, so I took some shots by hand... no special lighting used, that is exactly what it looks like at room light, and even has luster!

Archived