CoinPeople.com

British Error Coin

Hello

As previously mentioned in the help section, i have obtained an error coin that is thicker than normal. Mark has recommended posting photos( i am working on that one!!!) and listing some of its measurements.

It is a 1999 issue, 20p coin, that is the same diameter as normal but instead has a thickness of 2.4mm and weighs 7.5g. It is in excellent condition as you will see when we establish how to get the photos off our phone!

I have looked at the royal mint website and they specify that a 20p coin should be 1.7mm thick and weighs only 5g.

Should i contact the mint directly? Could you point me in the right direction for a valuation?

Any help will be much appreciated :ninja:

Rachel

That is a pretty good difference. I'm wondering if the mint there does coins for other countries? If so it could be a "foreign" planchet. If not a bad/thick planchet. I am not up on English coins so wait up till someone with more experience answers. I did see some other pence denominations struck on wrong or foreign planchet going for up to $225. Just no 1999 20 pence. As to checking with the mint I don't think they could help on value.

Ideally, to tell you what it is we need pictures.

There are such things as piedforts which the Royal Mint issues from time to time, they are the same as normal coins but usually twice as thick and struck in silver (rather than copper-nickel)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedfort

Also, there are forged 20p's about (I had one made of lead once), quite why anyone would go to the trouble of forging a 20p is beyond me, but it's something to be aware of.

Thank you both,

My initial research brought me to the conclusion that it was a piedfort, purely because of the condition but my husband says it definately isn't silver. Do they make cupri-nickel piedforts?

The annoying thing is we have had this coin some time, the emergence of the mule 20p made us re-address the coin but as they are both 20p when you do an internet search everything refers to the mule!!

Will hastily add photos for you to see because i don't think that it is a forgery, if it is, it is of excellent quality.

thanks again

Rachel

Mark

I have just checked on the Royal MInt website, they make coins and blanks for 60 countries. They produce over 90 million a week.

their website is

www.royalmint.com

it was here that i found the information of the original 20p

This looks like a possibility.

My question exactly!!!!!!

I have tried contacting the royal mint but they are closed, will try again tomorrow. Perhaps somebody who has a piedfort might check their measurements just out of curiosity.

I have considered the piedfort option at great length, and have reached the conclusion that our coin does not meet the given criteria. Here, they have only been producing piedforts since 1982, i believe. These are to commemorate changes of design or introduction of new coins. I believe that the design changed prior to 1999 therefore this would not fit with our coin...or would it? Also piedforts are silver and described as double the weight. :ninja:

My question exactly!!!!!!

I have tried contacting the royal mint but they are closed, will try again tomorrow. Perhaps somebody who has a piedfort might check their measurements just out of curiosity.

I have considered the piedfort option at great length, and have reached the conclusion that our coin does not meet the given criteria. Here, they have only been producing piedforts since 1982, i believe. These are to commemorate changes of design or introduction of new coins. I believe that the design changed prior to 1999 therefore this would not fit with our coin...or would it? Also piedforts are silver and described as double the weight. :ninja:

Standard 20p weighs 5g, according to my old catalogue a piedfort weighs 10g.

Best thing to do with this is to send it to Joseph Payne, curator, Royal Mint archives.

He will return the coin, with a note as to what exactly it is. It usually takes several months to complete this process though...

Have you ever done this before? Is this the safest option and are his contact details readily available? :ninja:

As a first step you could try the contact the mint form here,

http://www.royalmint.com/ContactUs/full_details.aspx

After a few weeks you'll get a reply, they may ask for the coin to be sent to them to ascertain it's authenticity,

Another few weeks may go by, then you'll get it back again. (but best to make sure they know you want it back just in case!)

The few weeks mentioned may turn into a few months or so.....

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I contacted the mint as advised, and to date have received no correspondance. Is this usual? Should i send a reminder ? It has been nearly three weeks now.

Advice appreciated

Rachel

Hello all,

I contacted the mint as advised, and to date have received no correspondance. Is this usual? Should i send a reminder ? It has been nearly three weeks now.

Advice appreciated

Rachel

If the mints are anything like the museums and fellow institutions, then it will probably take a while.

I would give it another week or so before sending a polite, friendly reminder.

Kindest Regards,

Clive.

• 11 months later...

Hello All

Despite constant" friendly" reminders, i have had no response with reference to my coin. My husband and i think that we may be better taking it to a proffessional for advise, but would not know where to start with this.

If anybody has any further feedback, or advise as to where we should take our quest, we would be most appreciative.

• 2 years later...