CoinPeople.com

1870 Canadian Victoria 50c Coin no LCW

swingwith311

I recently got a coin graded by the PCGS. It is an 1870 Victoria Canadian 50c no LCW. It scored an AU-58 which is awesome. I am looking to sell this coin, but the problem is I can't find the value anywhere. I saw 2 websites with pricing but for some reason they only give pricing up to AU-50 which is 10,000 dollars US. Does anyone know how much this coin is worth so that I can get the most for it.

Thanks, Conan

I recently got a coin graded by the PCGS. It is an 1870 Victoria Canadian 50c no LCW. It scored an AU-58 which is awesome. I am looking to sell this coin, but the problem is I can't find the value anywhere. I saw 2 websites with pricing but for some reason they only give pricing up to AU-50 which is 10,000 dollars US. Does anyone know how much this coin is worth so that I can get the most for it.

Thanks, Conan

Have you checked Ebay for any that have sold recently?? Ebay is usually a good indication of market value.. not always, but sometimes :ninja:

Have you checked Ebay for any that have sold recently?? Ebay is usually a good indication of market value.. not always, but sometimes :ninja:

A good suggestion, but Victoria Canada half dollars seem to be quite scarce in good grades (let alone AU!) on ebay. I just searched for all 1800's graded by any of 5 companies, and got 4 non-Newfoundland hits. One of them is my recent purchase, which I will post once I have it in hand and get better photos ;)

Heritage would be the best bet to find something even remotely close.

A good suggestion, but Victoria Canada half dollars seem to be quite scarce in good grades (let alone AU!) on ebay. I just searched for all 1800's graded by any of 5 companies, and got 4 non-Newfoundland hits. One of them is my recent purchase, which I will post once I have it in hand and get better photos :ninja:

Heritage would be the best bet to find something even remotely close.

Gotcha.... worth a shot though!

Dug out my Charlton book, and according to it, there haven't been any No LCW 1870 half dollars graded (by a Canadian company) MS-60 or higher. It doesn't show a column for AU-58, but it shows $12,500 for AU-50, $20,000 for AU-55.

Probably well worth submitting to ICCS for a cross grade. It could well end up being the finest graded, or tied for finest.

It's already been certified by a very respectable grading company so that part is done.

I wouldn't try and sell something that valuable on eBay, I personally would consign it to one of the major auction companies (Heritage, Stacks, Goldberg, Scotsman, etc...) when they hold their next big World auction. Believe it or not their fees may be less than eBay. And you get to keep the auction catalog with the photo of your coin.

Sounds to me like it's worth between $20000 - $25000.

PLEASE post a photo! :ninja:

Still no photo. Why do I feel as though we have been played?

And by Conan O'Brien no less. He was so much more sincere when he was in New York. Los Angeles changes people... :ninja:

Archived