CoinPeople.com

Interesting Japanese 5 yen off center hole

I remember going through a fair bit of Japanese 5 yen coins while I was in Japan but never have I come across a hole like this:

970901.jpg

Sure it might not seem to be major but considering how technical the Japan mint is as well as looking at the error coin market, Japanese error coins are quite rare.

Example of a typical 5 yen coin:

933869.jpg

Has anyone come across any 5 yen coins like this?

I've come across a few errors similar to the one pictured. Although they are not common, they are not very rare either.

Also I am not familiar with their lettering styles or verbage but the top coin has a different character on the obverse second down from the plant-like shape. Is that just part of the date or could it be something else? I'm just asking because these are known to be counterfeited as well.

The difference is a number in the date. The different character on the top coin is a 9, the character on the bottom coin is an 8.

Thanks Bill. In that case, it's just a normal misalignment in my opinion. :ninja:

Vfox, as what Blackfox has said, they are just dated differently. The first coin is Showa 39 which corresponds to 1964 in the Gregorian calendar and the other one is Showa 38 (1963).

As I have gone through a fair bit of 5 yen coins, such misalignment is relatively uncommon, in fact this is the first one I have come across other than one other crazy misalignment holed coin that I have seen sold for outrageous price. I know it's easy to say this is common with other world coins but Japanese coins? I am curious to see more examples. :ninja:

• 5 years later...
  • 11 months later...