CoinPeople.com

1811 2K overstruck mintmark

squirrel

if you asking about Grand Duke collection? - he never gave/donated/presented his collection to the State Hermitage, in 1914 his collection was packed and placed to safe deposit, later, going though many adventure his collection of coins and medals appered in Smithsonian museum here in Washington. :ninja:

By “the above article” I was referring to the article right above your post. The one about the St. Petersburg and the Kolomna mints. What information presented in that particular article do you find contrived or doubtful?

By “the above article” I was referring to the article right above your post. The one about the St. Petersburg and the Kolomna mints. What information presented in that particular article do you find contrived or doubtful?

the reference what you refered here is from efimok online auction; where they took this info I do not know yet;

this is better and more credible:

Колпинский (Ижорский) монетный двор на Ижорских заводах - Работал с 1810 по 1821 г. и с 1840 по 1843 г. Чеканил медные монеты различных достоинств. В 1840-1843 гг. чеканку производил штемпелями с обозначением Петербургского монетного двора.

Источник - "Монеты России" В. В. Уздеников :ninja:

... First two kopeeks were made with the abbreviation KM (Kolpino coin), but only one week later they changed it IM (izhorskaya coin). The fact is that KM is short for " Kolyvan' [moneta]" traditionally appears on the coins of Suzunskogo Mint. As a result now 2 kopeek 1810 KM- MK together with 1810 SPB - PS are some of rarest 2 kopeeks of 1810-1830 mass production.

Brekke's book has very similar information, except Brekke did not word it as "one week later", but as "later in the year". Other than that it is pretty much word-for-word.

Several years ago, i was fortunate to have been in Washington DC, and toured the Smithsonian at a time when a selection from Grand Dukes / Dupont collection was on display. I dont know if it is permanently on display or not. It was very nice.

The displays were all taken down some years ago, shortly after Mrs. Stefanelli died.

As a result of the coins being put in storage the 1895 pattern rouble of Nicholas II was

discovered. It had been part of the display but had been used only to show the reverse.

RWJ

This was around 2004, i think. Part of an exhibit of world coinage.

I doubt you have anything better, let alone even close, to the coins i saw on the velvet trays, behind the bullet proof glass, at the Smithsonian. Most were unique, extremely high grade. and just plain amazing. The Peter I material is most memorable. As was the array of Proof 12 ruble Plats.... :ninja:

May be it was before 2004 because read this link:

http://www.money.org/AM/Template.cfm?Secti...;CONTENTID=1510

this was the partial display key...

WOW! :ninja:

That is a most impressive selection of coins! ;)

Was the 1723 2 roubles the older (1722) portrait or the new (1723-25) "Seaman" type? Do you have pictures of these Peter I coins?

Unfortunately, I only snapped a few photos ;)

Had I known the collection was to come down, I would have been more thorough. I think i was using my old little digital camera, and was out of memory from a day of sightseeing in DC.

But of the 10 pictures i took..... the 1722! :ninja:

1722.jpg

the reference what you refered here is from efimok online auction; where they took this info I do not know yet;

this is better and more credible source:

Колпинский (Ижорский) монетный двор на Ижорских заводах - Работал с 1810 по 1821 г. и с 1840 по 1843 г. Чеканил медные монеты различных достоинств. В 1840-1843 гг. чеканку производил штемпелями с обозначением Петербургского монетного двора.

Источник - "Монеты России" В. В. Уздеников :ninja:

Archived