CoinPeople.com

Great Britain 2 pounds coins error???

Lithuania

Well, a friend of mine brought this coin to me. It is taken from circulation so condition is just about Very fine. But I found it interesting that word "pounds" is missing nearly a half of the letters. I have no idea what such an error is called in English, so any info you could give would be very grateful. I do hope that this is an error and that I put this post in the right section :ninja:

So, any info is more than welcome!

2pounds-vi.jpg

2pounds.jpg

So, I have no good knowledge of errors at all but I just wanted to throw out an idea. At first I thought the hole in the golden planchet was punched off center. But the silver planchet does look centered. Hmmm...

It actually looks like whatever punched "Two Pounds" used a font a few sizes too big for that field. But I doubt thats the case. You'd see other coins with a similar cut off too.

I dont know. I don't make any sense.

So, I have no good knowledge of errors at all but I just wanted to throw out an idea. At first I thought the hole in the golden planchet was punched off center. But the silver planchet does look centered. Hmmm...

It actually looks like whatever punched "Two Pounds" used a font a few sizes too big for that field. But I doubt thats the case. You'd see other coins with a similar cut off too.

I dont know. I don't make any sense.

Thanks. I compared this coin with the other 4 same type coins I have at the moment and also googled for images of this coin, but none of them had anything like this. I know this is not a "NICE ERROR", but it is not a usual case, so I thought I'd share it with the group :ninja:

Looking forward to other opinions ;)

Archived