CoinPeople.com

Massachusetts Bay Terecentenary 1930

bill

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I'm intrigued by the statement that you "made" encased pennies. Do you mean that you were a maker of encased pennies or do you mean that they had booths where you could make your own encased penny? I've never heard of the latter case? Rolled cents, yes. Encasing a cent, no? It sounds like an interesting story.

I've procrastinated on this long enough. :grin:

As I recall there were a number of machines that looked something like slot machines. The cent was already encased in an aluminum ring but you could put your name around the cent on the aluminum. You entered the letters and the machine stamped it into the ring. Don't remember how many you could get. If I can find mine I'll post a picture.

It depends on how you count his listings. But my spread sheet has 67 entries for possible items and I have acquired 40 to date. They are getting harder to find even though they may not be the most expensive.

• 1 year later...

Pond 28

Silvered white metal, 28 mm

Robbins Co.

10,000 Struck

How much is this worth? Ive recently acquired one and this is the only place on the internet that i can find it...

945592.jpg

The official medal of the Tercentenary Conference of City and Town Committees, design adopted on May 8, 1930. The intent was for the medal to be produced in massachusetts and be widely available. While the general design was used for medals struck by Whitehead and Hoag, the Conference medal was struck by Robbins Co., a Massachusetts firm.

Obv: View of Indians greeting Pilgrims with the legend, PURITAN GOVERNOR WINTHROP / AND INDIAN CHIEF / CHICKATABOT EX- / CHANGE TOKEN / OF GOOD WILL. Above, in microscopic lettering, is the notation, 1930 T.C.O.C. & T. C. INC. The outer ring reads, MASSACHUSETTS BAR TERCENTENARY / 1630 -1930.

REv: Copy of a Pine Tree Shilling with the microscopic mark, ROBBINS CO. ATTLEBORO, MASS.

And the medal adapted as an award medal.

968611.jpg

The Tercentenary Conference medals are fairly common (i.e. you can readily find one if you want one). I see them listed in the $10 to $25 range.

• 4 weeks later...

I love exonumia with its accompanying ephemera. I was fortunate to acquire a nice example of Pond 15, the Bourne Historical Society issue with its full box and data sheet. I have another one, but it is missing the top of the box. My composite image:

8263515154_e342146095_b.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure why I didn't post my Westwood medal. I must have been busy when I acquired it:

1013352.jpg

Pond 11

Struck by Cammall Badge Co.

Gilt bronze

about 3500 struck

• 4 months later...

Hi Bill,

What an interesting collection. I had a question regarding post # 74, the Rockport, MA coin. What do you know about this piece as far as value, and how many remain out there? I know only 2500 were struck, maybe you have a website that has info on this stuff, like what it is made of and if people are looking for them, like perhaps Rockport itself, or a collector or anyone, even you. Sadly, my grandmother just passed a few months ago, and I inherited a number of interest, and not-so-interesting coins she had collected, and I am looking for a good place to procure good information on a few of the items I have. Thanks for your reply in advance,

Jon

I attached pics of each side of the coin, the orange seen is the reflection of my iphone case, lol, but the coin is in quite nice conditionwith all the raised details still very much intact, as well as the rim around the edge. If anything, it just needs a good cleaning, so that would be my final question, how would you go about cleaning old coins, is there something I can do with stuff in my home, or should I buy something in particular? Thanks Bill, sorry to bombard you with so many Q's, I'm just starting to get very interested in coins and you seemed like you had quite a collection and knowledge base for me start with. Take care.

1.jpg

2.jpg

First, based on your picture, I would not attempt to clean your medal. It is thinly gold-plated, but the surface is not that hard. You risk creating tiny hair-lines that will decrease its value or worse.

I do not have any basis to guess how many have survived. These medals are not partuclarly valuable regardless of how many survive. Value depends on how many people want it and how much they are willing to pay. I paid $40 for mine and I am working on a collection of the entire series. I know there are others out there doing the same thing. Now that I have mine, I would not be bidding up the next collector to want one.

• 2 months later...

Pond 49 (pictured above a number of posts) is also known with a reverse for the Boston Evening Transcript:

9704998555_83139fecaf_b.jpg

The evening transcript was celebrating its 100th anniversary while Massachusetts was celebrating its 300th anniversary.

• 2 years later...

1. what's Peabody?

2. why isn't it listed?

Cool pins, bill. I never noticed them in this thread before.

That image would be the 1830s monument memorializing the Minutemen of Danvers (Peabody was part of Danvers) who were killed during the Battle of Menotomy. Originally located at the intersection of Main and Washington Streets, the monument was moved to the corner of Washington and Sewall Streets in 1961.

http://cdn.patch.com/users/47919/2013/04/a3ce322d98af9099ce862b380934ce8b.mp4

953417.jpg

Aonother unlisted pinback, this one from Peabody.

An unlisted commemorative pin from Medford, Massachussets. Medford is north of Boston on the Mystic River. The pin shows a ship under construction in dry dock. The commemorative inscription is on the reverse.

956394.jpg

I love the image of the ship on dry-dock. How big is the pin?

Quite similar to the NH state seal depicting the USS Raleigh under construction at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard ca.1775.

New_Hampshire_State_Seal_1904.png

nc finds 03-09 004 - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...