CoinPeople.com

Massachusetts Bay Terecentenary 1930

bill

I've not yet done enough research to determine who is pictured on the pinback.

In your studies, who typically appears on these pieces? Mayors? Pastors? Landed gentry?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In your studies, who typically appears on these pieces? Mayors? Pastors? Landed gentry?

Early governors. I suspect the person is an early governor or landed gentry.

• 3 weeks later...

Pond 20

Gilt Bronze, 32 mm

Whitehead & Hoag Co.

1500 struck

966762.jpg

Sir William Pepperell served the colony of Massachusetts in several capacities for 32 years. In addition to a distinguish career in the military, he served as acting governor of Massacusetts from 1756 to 1758.

Upgraded:

987445.jpg

Your collection is terrific. How did you come upon this theme in the first place? Was it a result of reading the Pond manuscript?

Your collection is terrific. How did you come upon this theme in the first place? Was it a result of reading the Pond manuscript?

Pond came second. I started with one or two pieces that I bought as "unlisted" so-called dollars, just shopping around as opposed to anything serious. I do that sometimes. I buy a few pieces and see how they sit with the rest of my collection and see if they spark some interest. After thinking that I like them and the history they represented, I checked out a copy of Pond from the ANA library. One of these days I'll acquire the original Numismatist volumes where his catalog first appeared, but for now a scanned copy serves my needs. Anyway, with Pond in hand, I set out to collect this series and added the pinbacks even though Pond didn't cover them as a specific decision he made. That left part of the series as a discovery process for me. I've enjoyed it and acquired the most expensive pieces early on (the Fraser medal is the most expensive because it is by Fraser). That allows me to pursue almost everything I come across with a real vigor without having to dole out too much money. That makes it a lot of fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Pond 40

Gilt Bronze, 35mm

L.G. Balfour Co., Attleboro, MA

1500 struck

3685607341_510cdbfe4d.jpg

The "Pageant of the Mystic" was held June 23rd to July 2nd, 1930 displaying the history of Medford. A pinback with a similar design is pictured earlier in this thread. Three other badges with different designs, struck by other companies are also known from Medford.

• 1 month later...

Pond 30

Aluminum Encased Cent, 35mm

971812.jpg

My latest acquisition. Unknow maker, unknown number produced. A generic luck penny.

More nice stuff. I really like the encased pennies. I can still remember when my wife and I were dating and we'd make them at fairs and such. I still have one, somewhere, from the World's Fair in 1964.

More nice stuff. I really like the encased pennies. I can still remember when my wife and I were dating and we'd make them at fairs and such. I still have one, somewhere, from the World's Fair in 1964.

I'm intrigued by the statement that you "made" encased pennies. Do you mean that you were a maker of encased pennies or do you mean that they had booths where you could make your own encased penny? I've never heard of the latter case? Rolled cents, yes. Encasing a cent, no? It sounds like an interesting story.

I'm intrigued by the statement that you "made" encased pennies. Do you mean that you were a maker of encased pennies or do you mean that they had booths where you could make your own encased penny? I've never heard of the latter case? Rolled cents, yes. Encasing a cent, no? It sounds like an interesting story.

I was wondering the same thing too. Good thing you asked the Q. I forgot to.

• 8 months later...

Pond 67

Bronze, 35mm

Dieges and Clust, New York

about 1000 struck

4412078333_817fa03de9.jpg

Badge worn at the special session of the Massachusetts General Court to celebrate the Tercentenary. Both the Senate and the House met in session with the governor, state Supreme Court justices, and special guests. The name badge and bar presenting the person's affiliation have been removed from the ribbon at some point in the past.

• 3 months later...

Pond 52

Gilt Bronze

Schwaab Stamp & Seal

unknown number struck, considered rare by Hibler & Kappen

4950331498_1c1aca212b_z.jpg

Hibler and Kappen include this medal (without the loops) in their so-called dollar catalog. I have only seen this piece as part of a souvenir badge as pictured here. It is possible that unlooped pieces exist or that the piece they illustrate had the loops removed. In either event, it adds to my Massachusetts Bay collection and my so-called dollar collection.

Pond 41

Gilt Bronze

Hodge Badge Co.

About 100 made

4950395880_78d16fa82e_z.jpg

Patriot's day, April 19th, anniversary of the Battle of Lexington. 59 Medford Minutemen participated in the battle, hence its significance for the city. Only about 100 badges are believed to have been produced.

Pond 39

Gilt Bronze

Robbins Co.

About 1650 made

4950440744_95bbffbb92_z.jpg

These badges are believed to have been distributed on the day of the Medford parade on September 23, 1930.

Pond 41

Gilt Bronze

Hodge Badge Co.

About 100 made

4950395880_78d16fa82e_z.jpg

Patriot's day, April 19th, anniversary of the Battle of Lexington. 59 Medford Minutemen participated in the battle, hence its significance for the city. Only about 100 badges are believed to have been produced.

I really like that design but I wonder if it could be improved with a polygonal or circular medal, or a polished background, or something else.

• 2 weeks later...

Pond 49

Bronze

Whitehead & Hoag, Newark, N.J.

Unknown number made

985647.jpg

Pond did not know much about this medal and speculated that it could have been a generic medal adaptable for use anywhere within Massachusetts. He describes the piece with a multi-part ribbon and name tag pin clasp. Mine has the remnants of a ribbon and its attachment device. The medal could use a good cleaning. It is the first I have encountered. Unlike the similar medals, this one has the artist's initial to the left of the pilgrim. They appear to be JSL.

• 2 months later...

987982.jpg

Okay, its not strictly the tercentenary, but the medal commemorates the Pond who's catalogs number grace this thread.

• 3 months later...

NE and... ??

Sorry, I missed this question. It is III, the piece pictured is a New England 3 pence, extremely rare coin.

Pond 21

Gilt Bronze

Whitehead & Hoag, Newark, N.J.

Mintage about 2500

990745.jpg

Town of Rockport, Massachusetts