Lincoln 1909-S VDB

KurtS

30 members have voted

1. 1. Grade this coin

• MS-60 RB
    • MS-62 RB
    • MS-63 RB
    • MS-64 RB

Well, if we must run the full gamut of possible offenses of this coin, there's no signs of PVC damage either. I've inspected this under a 32X stereo scope and it's a very nice example, with few marks outside the 500 micron rim ding, which happened early in its history. Admittedly, it's hard to capture the colors on my camera, but high magnification reveals how the "wood-grain" alloying is beautifully toned in various colors. At 32X or 100X, there is no evidence of layered deposition that characterizes PVC damaged coins. While color is certainly subjective, in this case it's more indicative of the patina creating a "thin film interference" effect (also known as "rainbow toning"). Eventually, patina builds to the point where this phase-shift effect is negated, and the coin moves from RB to BN color.

That's my quantitative analysis, and I've more than adequately documented this coin for this board, lol! I've run it past a dozen collectors, and we think it will grade 63-64RB, including a one point strike for the rim mark. Btw, this is an early die state for the 1909-S VDB with a high reverse "wire rim" that was particularly susceptible to such dings.

I'll post more when the coin returns from grading.

I hate to disagree... but the colors on the 2 cents posted are completely different... its true that the early lincolns come in many different shades due to planchet mixtures... but having handled more then 50 unc S VDB's I have a pretty good idea what colors the TPG's like and what color (tho it may be original) they dont. In the case of this coin... i like the details... it looks like it has solid 62 shot 63 details... and like kurt said the pic might not be the best representation of the color... so we will see what the TPG says

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Bare minimum MS62. Its more like an MS62/63 grade. So, on a good day, I would give an MS63. On a regular day, an MS62. But, it does have a good chance to get an MS63 because its rim is high. So having a nick there is very likely. Everything else looks good, so subtracting 1-2 points for that one nick is correct. This would bring it to MS62-MS63.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I think it is a 63. Looking forward to the results!

Since the original posts were in 2007, I doubt that we'll ever get to see the results of this one. I, like you, would really enjoying seeing what grade it was given. I'd go with MS63RB.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...