CoinPeople.com

Stop #10- UncleBobo and NYC

UncleBobo

There were posters outlining the points of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, here is one of them.

LibbyattheUN14UniversalDeclaration.jpg

This next sign made Libby sad...

LibbyattheUN10Peacekeeping.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a small exhibit with artifacts from the A-bombing of Hiroshima. Libby couldn’t take her eyes off this particular display case with melted cans and coins.

LibbyattheUN12Hiroshima.jpg

Here is a better look at the coins.

LibbyattheUN13Hiroshima.jpg

We finished the tour and went down to visit the Gift shop and the post office. Yes, we were compelled to think about war and genocide and torture, so we wanted to buy coffee cups to remember the experience forever.

Here is Libby admiring some of the stamps and posters in the UN Post Office.

LibbyattheUN16coinandstamp.jpg

Since the UN is not considered part of NYC but is it’s own territory they have their own stamps and postal system.

This is a sculpture outside the UN HQ. I think it was from Denmark. When I took the picture I thought, "This will make Biggandyy cry"

LibbyattheUN17tiedgun.jpg

Walking away from the building we passed the missions of several countries but I only chose to photograph India's.

LibbyattheUN18indianmission.jpg

I took the picture because I figured that anyone who collects Indian coins would recognize the pillar of Asoka above the door.

LibbyattheUN19AsokaPillar.jpg

The final pic for that trip is this one taken of the Chrysler Building while I was walking across the street. This is one of my favorite buildings in the city.

LibbyattheUN20chryslerbuilding.jpg

My next two photo sets will be Libby goes to Texas and Libby goes on Jury Duty

I would be posting these pictures more frequently but I have been working 10 hours and day, and I have also been travelling to Texas and going on jury duty, but I think you may already know that!!

This is a sculpture outside the UN HQ. I think it was from Denmark. When I took the picture I thought, "This will make Biggandyy cry"

LibbyattheUN17tiedgun.jpg

Yes, I think that was the first one - now you can see that sculpture in e.g. Stockholm and Berlin too. It's called "Non Violence", by Carl Fredrik Reuterswärd. http://www.un.int/luxembourg/knotted%20gun.htm

Guess this was a reminder that no future host should use Libby as a target for a shooting training. :ninja:

Christian

• 4 weeks later...

Gosh darn!!

I did not realize that it's been so long since I've posted last and I do apologize for that. My life has been really crazy lately and I've not had the time to shrink down and upload my pictures. In the future I will be better about getting these pictures up quick since I feel my time with Libby is beginning to run short.

So here is my promised set of pictures featuring Libby in Texas!!

libbyintexas1samhouston.jpg

This is Libby posing with a Sam Houston statue outside a steakhouse in Houston. The statue is modeled after the 69 ft original statue that is in Huntsville, Texas. The original is billed as, "The world's largest statue of an American hero." :ninja:

We were only in Texas for maybe 33 hours since my wife couldn't get any time off from her job. We flew out there to see her Mama get remarried.

During oiur flight out Libby took some time to look at the products in the Skymall magazine that is stocked behind every seat on the airplane, right along with the barfbags.

libbyintexas2skymaul.jpg

Libby was quite horrified by the concept of the flying alarm clock. Libby said that when they tested it for the first time the clock's inventor must have thought to himself, "I am become death the destroyer of worlds"

Since we sat in an exit row seat, Libby studied up on the survival manual.

libbyintexas3exitrow.jpg]

She also took time to watch the inflight movie, and she took my headphones to do it. :ninja:

libbyintexas4libbywatchesamovie.jpg

The wedding and reception were both held at this great honkytonk bar in Houston called the Armadillo Palace.

One of it’s most notable features a giant armadillo statue standing sentinel outside.

libbyintexas6tarkus1.jpg

libbyintexas7tarkus.jpg

The thing has always reminded me of Emerson Lake and Palmer’s Tarkus tank!!

tarkus.jpg

The bar was elaborately decorated with all sorts of signs and posters and other items relating to Texas history and cowboy culture.

LibbyinTexas96flags.jpg

Here Libby is getting her first up close look at a saddled bull.

libbyintexas8libbyridesthebull.jpg

I put the camera and Libby away for the ceremony but I did let her enjoy some cake afterwards.

LibbyinTexas10libbylikescake.jpg

LibbyinTexas11libbylikedcake.jpg

I am still curious about how she managed to change that spoon into a fork. She's can be freaky sometimes..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived