CoinPeople.com

Stop #10- UncleBobo and NYC

UncleBobo

Well, Libby, traveling comfortably in a padded envelope, made her journey from Tonawanda and now she is here with me in New York City. Some of you may remember that I moved from New Jersey, my life long home, to Houston TX in mid 2006. Well, my wife got an offer she couldn't refuse from her old employers in NYC so we came back here to grow old, hopefully very old, and die. I have been busy running around taking care of business the past two days so I'm afraid I have not been the best host to Libby but I swear I will make it up to her, I hear that there are one or two things to see here in New York.

It's good that I gave Libby some space when she got here because it gave her the time she needed to establish dominance over my pocket pieces.

Libby4PocketPieces.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Libby5Pocketpiecessleeping.jpg

Here Libby is watching to make sure that all the pieces go into the fish box which is their usual sleeping place. Libby made some crack about "sleeping with da fishes" that Britannia seemed to take special offence to.

Libby6Brittianasetting.jpg

Just as the box was being shut up Britannia tried to make a break for it but Libby, weighing in at an impressive two ounces, squelched that insurrection with no problem.

One final pic for today, I went to go to my doctor's office in East Rutherford NJ and I took Libby with me. There is a clock on a traffic island near the doctors office that I knew Libby would want to see so we walked over...

Libby7911clock.jpg

On the face of the clock it says, "Take Time To Remember September 11 2001. I think it's a sweet clock and Libby agreed.

She was a little chilled when I told her that two blocks away from that clock there's a building that my old company ownes and some of my coworkers watched the twin towers fall from it's rooftop. :ninja:

If I see some nut walking around taking pictures with a coin, I'll know who it is!

What part of NYC did you settle in?

Libby came out with me on Friday morning to see the small hell that is street parking in NYC. When I drive into the city I usually end up with a space where I have to move the car in the morning, like today I ended up on this side of the street.

Libbyaltside1.jpg

The first step is to move your car and double park it on the other side of the street at 8:30 A.M.

Libbyaltside2.jpg

You know you are going to be sitting for a while so it’s important to have some reading material with you.

Libbyaltside5.jpg

I have a copy of the Village Voice because you can get it for free in Manhattan.

So you sit in your double-parked car and you read and wait, and wait and you take silly pictures of yourself.

Libbyaltside6.jpg

So finally our moment of truth arrives! The street sweeper comes to clean the “no parking from 8:30 to 10:00” side of the street.

Libbyaltside7.jpg

Once they pass you have to move your car back to the spot where you were originally parked. Everyone sitting double-parked in their cars will do this. Now, the hell of it is that you still cannot leave your car because you have to worry about the traffic police. You have to stay with your car until 10 A.M. If the street sweeper comes by at 8:30 you still have to stay with the car until 10 A.M. because you will get a ticket otherwise, I have seen it happen.

The worst thing about parking in the city is the dings and scratches that you get on the back bumper of your otherwise spotless 2007 car.

Libbyaltside4.jpg

Libbyaltside3.jpg

I hope you’ve enjoyed this fascinating story; Libby was bored out of her mind. She much more enjoyed our trip to the United Nations, which will be the next set of pictures to be posted.

• 2 weeks later...
If I see some nut walking around taking pictures with a coin, I'll know who it is!

What part of NYC did you settle in?

Upper West Side...I'll explain how that came to be later on.

But for now...LIBBY GOES TO THE UNITED NATIONS!!!!!

libbyattheUN1outside.jpg

My wife and I, and her friend visting from Texas, had never gone to the UN building in Manhattan before so we decided it would be a cool thing to do so with Libby in tow we entered the complex.

While we were waiting around for our tour to start there were several beautiful works of art in the lobby that grabbed my attention.

Libbyattheun3JpIIMosaic.jpg

This is a mosiac given to the UN by Pope John Paul II on his first visit there in 1979.

LibbyattheUN5rugs.jpg

These are some of the portraits of every former Secratary-General of the UN. Libby was impressed that there are not photographs or paintings but they are in fact rugs which were given as gifts by "The Islamic Republic of Iran" I couldn't help thinking that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad probably wishes he could have kept the Kurt Waldheim portrait so he could hang it in his den and gaze at it lovingly.

Hanging in the lobby right at the point where the tours line up was this poster...

LibbyattheUN6Genocidelobbyposter.jpg

I guess it's to remind everyone of why the UN has to exist..

The first stop on the tour was the Security Council Chambers

LibbyattheUN8SecurityCouncil.jpg

Here is a closter look at that amazing picture on the back wall.

LibbyattheUN7SecurityCouncil.jpg

The tour guide said it represents new life rising our of the chaos and slaughter of WWII

Some of the pictures I took, like the inside of some of the other meeting chambers turned out horrible so I will not post them.

I did get this good shot of the General Assembly Chamber which is think is quite allright!!

LibbyattheUN15GeneralAssembly.jpg

While we were walking through the building Libby stopped for a chat with this stately gentleman.

LibbyattheUN11nobelprize.jpg

Archived