CoinPeople.com

Russia II (Thomas Hoiland)

BKB

I wonder why no one mentioned the Russia II yet. It has been over a week now. Is it shock, or no one cares about copper? Personally, I like the lot #1391. (Hint: the coin sold in that lot has nothing to do with the coin described in that lot :ninja: ) To me, it is an indication that people paying these mad prices (lot sold for over $2000, including commission) know very little about coins they are buying.

I wonder why no one mentioned the Russia II yet. It has been over a week now. Is it shock, or no one cares about copper? Personally, I like the lot #1391. (Hint: the coin sold in that lot has nothing to do with the coin described in that lot ;) ) To me, it is an indication that people paying these mad prices (lot sold for over $2000, including commission) know very little about coins they are buying.

I wish I was rich so that I could afford to collect Russian coins. :ninja:;)

I wonder why no one mentioned the Russia II yet. It has been over a week now. Is it shock, or no one cares about copper?

It is frustration. I was bidding on couple of coins there and was outbid. My favorite was 10 kopek Siberia with edge legend. I was bidding also on novodels 1796. Unfortunately, no luck :ninja:

It is frustration. I was bidding on couple of coins there and was outbid. My favorite was 10 kopek Siberia with edge legend. I was bidding also on novodels 1796. Unfortunately, no luck :ninja:

"I am speechless."

However I won 2 items on that auction. Actually they were 4 but I had to give 2 of those to another collector in Russia - we both were bidding via one and the same dealer and we both wanted 4 pieces, so we decided to agree in advance and we split the won lots ;)

"I am speechless."

However I won 2 items on that auction. Actually they were 4 but I had to give 2 of those to another collector in Russia - we both were bidding via one and the same dealer and we both wanted 4 pieces, so we decided to agree in advance and we split the won lots ;)

The prices are very high, even by today's standards. When even ordinary coins are selling at ten, twenty or more times what they are traditionally worth, then there doesn't seem to be much point in even bothering to bid. ;) And even if my bid is successful, I must ask myself if I really want to buy at such price levels? :ninja:

The prices are very high, even by today's standards. When even ordinary coins are selling at ten, twenty or more times what they are traditionally worth, then there doesn't seem to be much point in even bothering to bid. ;) And even if my bid is successful, I must ask myself if I really want to buy at such price levels? :ninja:

I must confess that I guessed the bids on all 4 items (hammer price was well below -20-30%- my bid limits) and I am quite happy. From what I know of participation in auctions there are 2 strategies aimed to give "numismatic satisfaction" - either you cover dozens or hundreds of lots with moderate bids - you will get some for sure; or you concentrate on 1-5 items you are desperate to have - thus increasing the limits. Both way you get something and you are happy.

I must confess that I guessed the bids on all 4 items (hammer price was well below -20-30%- my bid limits) and I am quite happy. From what I know of participation in auctions there are 2 strategies aimed to give "numismatic satisfaction" - either you cover dozens or hundreds of lots with moderate bids - you will get some for sure; or you concentrate on 1-5 items you are desperate to have - thus increasing the limits. Both way you get something and you are happy.

Gents,

can someone please send me the link to this auction? I've missed it completely as at my age you start thinking about eternity :-)

As normally , yours,

There is one coin out of the whole lot that grabbed my interest, that is lot 1414 - Persian fals over Alexander II 2 kopeks. Makes me wonder how many of such coins fell victim

Did such overstriking event actually occur? :ninja:

I have occasionally seen Russian copper coins overstruck as Persian coins (I seem to remember one which was published in JRNS many years ago when RZ was editor).

I know very little about Islamic coins and don't know if there was a formal overstriking/counterstamping effort by Iran, or whether these were just flukes.

I don't remember seeing a case in which the undertype was trimmed to make it smaller. It seems like a lot of trouble for something with relatively little purchasing power.

There is one coin out of the whole lot that grabbed my interest, that is lot 1414 - Persian fals over Alexander II 2 kopeks. Makes me wonder how many of such coins fell victim

Did such overstriking event actually occur? :ninja:

I believe above 18-20 coins in Museum of Russia.Elso I have one letter from Spasskiy above Persian overstruck,but now I file all my documents, will try to send update later.

If I wasn't mistaken, Julian did mention about St. Petersburg minting coins for Iran a hundred years ago - Russia still keeps a good contact with Iran I guess :ninja:

You can find in Spasskiy, Also in the book Memory of Oreshnikov part 1 or 2 (Article about Collection in museum and collectors), RNS...

Rarenum, do you happen to have any idea who did such overstriking as I don't have any idea if Iran has any mint as well as how such coins got to Iran.

As well as, was this done in a broad scale (I'm doubtful, just like the 1795MM overstruck over Wallachia coins)

Would be very great if you can pull out that document :ninja: I'll have to order those books online as well as consider buying up all the RNS journals - you just don't find Russian numismatics literature too easily in Australia ;)

Archived