CoinPeople.com

My New Idea for the Site (and a poll)

Guest Stujoe

Would you be a host for a CoinPeople.com coin?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be a host for a CoinPeople.com coin?

• Yes
    • No

Guest Stujoe
Yes, but what Sylverster says is true, I don't trust the UK post, so far I had some coins sent from Holland that never made it...

Whenever I buy something and it is not sent recorded, I worry sick until it arrives... the same when I sent cash to Colin, CCQ, josemartins and McDoo, but so far they always arrived...

From now on I will always pay with paypal, no paypal, I don't buy... safer and less stressful..

Guest Stujoe

An update to the update. The V Cents has been located under a folder next to a defibrillator. At this time, we suspect an absent minded minter to be at fault and not the British Postal System. However, an investigation is ongoing.

Guest Stujoe
Mail loss is a problem - sometimes. I know that I had a trade with Syl that went missing. We suspected the British Post - but who knows.

I'm ready to host the coin. It's fun. Are we going to have a separate forum for the coins adventures?

Guest Stujoe
I had a gentleman at my coin club who's been a dealer/collector for about 40 years. He said that once your address becomes recognized as a dealer/collector you're subject to a lot more loss. He felt that magazine and auction subscriptions were a key culprit. This fellow always used a post office box for delivery of items that would label him as a numismatist. All coin deliveries/mailings went from/to a different address. Sometimes one of those mailbox things. He'd change the shipping address about once a year.

Sounds like a lot of trouble to me.

Guest Stujoe

Yep. A brand new forum area will be made for this endevour. :ninja:

A main forum for the Mint which will have sign up lists and general info and then a sub forum for the V Cents travelogues. That will leave room for other subforums for any future issues and satisy my sometimes pathological need for organization. :roll:

Guest Stujoe
Cool, this should be fun! :ninja:

(Though I am a bit hesitant and uncertain about what the engraving/carving portion of it involves. I have no such tools.)

Guest Stujoe
Cool, this should be fun! :ninja:

(Though I am a bit hesitant and uncertain about what the engraving/carving portion of it involves. I have no such tools.)

Got a cheap ball point pen? ;)

That is what I plan on using. It is silver so we are not talking titanium here. I tried a ball point pen before the coin was 'minted' and it scratched into it just fine. You just need to scratch initials into it so it is not a big effort involved.

An awl, dental pick or screw would probably work too but I think a ball point pen will be sufficient and easy enough. It also allows you to scratch small initials to conserve space on the coin.

Guest Stujoe

One final comment on the postal systems (ok, it probably isn't the final one :ninja:)...

No one should forego being a host just because they are afraid their postal system will loce the coin. We are not talking an 1804 Dollar. It is a hunk of ground down silver. If it gets lost, we can mint another. The site can aford it. ;) The pictures, stories and just general fun of it is what it is about. Not the object itself.

I will also make suggestions on how to ship it and pack it and such. If you do the best you can to get it to the next host, you've done the best you can. This isn't something that anyone should lose any sleep over. ;)

If someone doesn't want to host for whatever reason, that is fine but don't feel like the post should be one of those reasons.

Guest Stujoe
I have engraved dies for medieval type coins, I will have to photograph the coins sometime.  I have the die buried somewhere in the basement in an unlabelled box.  I used lead shot for coin blanks.

I could engrave a new primitive, however minting could be a problem since I no longer have a screw press ie a vice to mint them with.

Dave

My tools of the trade were a dremel with the grinding and polishing kit. :ninja: Nothing too fancy for me.

There are a few 'adjustment marks' visible but it actually looks pretty good. I was surprised how easy it went and that I didn't have a major 'Oops' along the way!

Guest Stujoe
I hope it gets to me sometime when everything is covered in snow, by Minnesota time that could be anywhere from now until April.  :ninja:

I can take it sledding.  ;)

Guest Stujoe
Oh, I definitely want to host it.

If I would happen to have it in october 2005, I could take it with me to the Dominican Republic on my next project there.

An update to the update. The V Cents has been located under a folder next to a defibrillator. At this time, we suspect an absent minded minter to be at fault and not the British Postal System. However, an investigation is ongoing.

I lost V for about 20 hours and spent most of those hours looking for her... the whole time I was thinking about how I was going to explain losing V to the Coin People but I found her on top of the computer screen thingy. :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...