CoinPeople.com

Massachusetts Bay Complete Set of Notes 1780

Scottishmoney

massachusetts11780.jpg

massachusetts11780r.jpg

One Dollar note, as with all others signed by Loammi Baldwin, a commander in the Continental Army and developer and promoter of the Baldwin apple.

massachusetts21780.jpg

massachusetts21780r.jpg

Two Dollar note.

massachusetts31780.jpg

massachusetts31780r.jpg

Three Dollar note.

massachusetts41780.jpg

massachusetts41780r.jpg

Four Dollar note.

massachusetts51780.jpg

massachusetts51780r.jpg

The one that started it all, I bought this in Waldorf, MD when I was a teenager, a lucky find - it is not cut out cancelled and worth 2x as much because of it.

• 11 months later...

They were cancelled on redemption. Most of the Colonial US notes were eventually paid out, sometimes up to 30 years later, and usually for about a cent on the dollar, and at that for new long term bonds. Around 99% of the Massachusetts notes from the 1780 Federal Guaranty were redeemed and paid. They either had the hole punched through, or a triangular piece cut out near the signatures to cancel them. The $5 bill is unusual, and a neat find at an antique mall near Washington DC when I was a teenager.

This is an old thread, kind of forgot about it. I have quite a few others from other states etc. that sometime in the future I should sell, I have not collected them in a long time.

• 7 years later...