CoinPeople.com

Found in The Coinstar Reject Bin Thread

Scottishmoney

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching NatGeo's Dr. Pol ... How does his favorite "Holy Moley" sound? Anyway, what can be said about such a FANTASTIC find? Outside of collections and one long-ago surprise* I haven't seen so much silver in one place since I was a kid in the '60s!

* During a college winter break I took a part-time job at a local department store. Just before Christmas the proverbial little old lady bought some gifts and plunked down a small bag of silver dollars - mostly common-date Peaces but a decent number of Morgans as well. We spent a good 10 or 15 minutes trying to convince her that she could sell the coins for far more than face value, but she kept insisting she just wanted to "get rid of them" (yes, really). Anyway, the three of us working the counterall had some degree of numismatic knowledge so we split them by interest and value. To this day I wish we could have gotten her to accept an offer, but at least the coins went to good homes. (OK, moral question: has anyone else had a similar experience? How do you deal with someone who hurts themselves financially by ignoring informed advice?)

11 minutes ago, JayKay said:

(OK, moral question: has anyone else had a similar experience? How do you deal with someone who hurts themselves financially by ignoring informed advice?)

I have, actually -- I had a co-worker gift me with her grandfather's fountain pen because it was known that I used them at work.  I looked it up while she was at my desk and the first page that came up indicated it had a value in the $200-$300 range.  I made sure she saw that and asked, "Are you sure you want to just give this away?"

She said yes, because she knew that I would appreciate it, restore it, and take care of it.

Wow.

2 hours ago, Art1.2 said:

But you must admit cows are much nicer than what you may have thought. 

Absolutely.  Although cows might have had a part in the production of what I might have thought. ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...