CoinPeople.com

Round 3 - Serial Nos- F1/F7

Round 3 - Serial Nos- F1/F7  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• F1 - elverno - 1967 1 Dollar Canada
    • F7 - See323 - 1999 Singapore Portrait Series $50

Let's face it only a "no serial number" could take on "serial number one"! :ninja:

Hi elverno, I too find it strange. Your commemorative Canadian $1 with massive copies of printed years numbers could actually beat my extremely rare serial number of ONE 000001. I find it hard to believe. Are the voters voting for interesting serial numbers or they are looking at the design of the note. I too love the Canadian 1954 series of QEII. I have one $5 555555 in my collection. ;););)

Hi elverno, I too find it strange. Your commemorative Canadian $1 with massive copies of printed years numbers could actually beat my extremely rare serial number of ONE 000001. I find it hard to believe. Are the voters voting for interesting serial numbers or they are looking at the design of the note. I too love the Canadian 1954 series of QEII. I have one $5 555555 in my collection. :ninja:;);)

I was basing my vote on serial number. The Canadian note is celebrating its centennial which was from 1867-1967. If you notice the serial number is also 1867 1967.

And my offer still stands that I would love to buy the Canadian note

I was basing my vote on serial number. The Canadian note is celebrating its centennial which was from 1867-1967. If you notice the serial number is also 1867 1967.

And my offer still stands that I would love to buy the Canadian note

Hi Brett, thank you for your clarification. Maybe I can add some information about this Canadian 1967 $1. There are two Canadian 1967 Series $1 printed in 1967. One is with true serial number. The other one is common serial number ( the one that elverno put it up here for the contest ). The "1867 1967" is not a true serial number. Here is an article on this 1967 series for further understanding.

What is special about the $1 note with the serial number '1867 1967'?

Many collectors have asked about this note. Here is the story: In 1967, the Bank of Canada produced 12,000,000 specially numbered notes to commemorate 100 years of Canadian Confederation. These notes beared the serial number '1867 1967' to distinguish themselves as a special collector's edition, apart from regular serial numbered notes. Since these special centennial notes were extensively hoarded by the public, they remain quite common and carry very little premium. The notes bearing regular numbers are worth a little more being in relative short supply (despite the fact more were produced). The table below reflects the latest valuations (in Cdn funds) as provided in the Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 15th (2003) edition, pp. 236. Latest Pick valuations (in US funds as per Standard Catalog of World Paper Money - Modern Issues, Volume III, 6th Edition, p. 159), by Krause Publications, p. 158.) are shown immediately below in italics for comparison purposes. Charlton types are prefixed 'BC' whereas Pick type are prefixed by 'P'. Market prices may vary over time and geography. Also note that the following table shows the most common 1867 1967 variety, and excludes less common regular serial number and replacement notes (denoted by a '*' star or asterisk).

Bank of Canada - $1 - 1967 - serial number '1867 1967'

Cat # Series VG F VF EF AU UNC

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BC-45a No serial number (1) 1.50 2.00 2.25 2.50 4.00 5.00 CAD

P-84a 1867-1967 1.00 1.50 5.00 USD

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1) Notes with a 'true' serial number worth more

Here is a picture of the one with serial number.

Canadawithserialnumber1967.jpg

If you are buying any of these notes, do read on this :

http://reviews.ebay.ca/Gold-Flag-1967-1s-a...T:-1:LISTINGS:1

:ninja:;);)

Actually Brett these things are pretty common. I wasn't aware there were counterfeits (which seems silly! ). I got this note in 1967 in British Columbia as well as two others from a favorite uncle who gave me complete sets from rolls he had purchased at the banks. ;) At the time he probably had a couple of hundred notes, ironically they would have been consecutive if there had actually been serial numbers. :ninja:

I put it into the competition because there just aren't that many regular issues out there with no serial numbers at all, precisely because of the problem with counterfeits.

Just a rule of thumb. Any banknotes with serial number printed are meant for circulation except commemorative or even specimen ones but they still have nice running serial number for the purpose of accountability. It is possible that specimen notes have a problem with accountability. They may be produce in large quantitiy with the same serial number of 000000. One good example is the Japanese WWII Occupation banknotes. Most of them are without serial numbers.

For those banknotes without serial number may have a problem of accountability. These banknotes are alway the target of counterfeits group producing them in large quantity and selling them to unknowing collectors. Without having the necessary knowledge on these notes is as good as giving free money to the counterfeiters.

Nowadays, you seldom find banknotes printed without serial numbers for commemorative purpose.

In my opinion, , I usually do not keep specimen banknotes especially the modern ones. It is the same as keeping coins. After keeping coins and banknotes for a long tme, I realised the banknotes have far better returns and satisfaction than coins. Coins do not have serial number and they are produce in large quantity. In general, coins do not have traceability and accountability making them rise in values very slowly unless they are commemorative ones with limited mintage and also given a certificate with a serial number to make them accountable. In many cases, these accountable commemorative coins are produced in large quantity.

The value of the coins or even banknotes may not be the main consideration when collecting. Most of the time, it is the design of a certain coins and banknotes that attract the collector. Most importantly, you enjoy the process of searching and finding the pieces that fits into your collection. :ninja:

;););)

Archived