CoinPeople.com

Tell me if I am crazy

swest2004@yahoo.com

Ok, I have come back to coin collecting and wanted to start off with a stunning set that may have increased value.

I selected the Silver Eagle since it is a short lifespan - 1986+ and affordable in most cases.

However, I find myself buying quite a few from ebay. I believe I am getting decent to very good deals but perhaps you can reassure me since I am new to this.

My goal is to get the best deals and slowly (as I can afford) pick up a 2 complete sets of silver proofs, ungraded. I also am aiming to get an additional set complete that is either PF 69 or PF70 for all the coins (1995-W not included at this time)

I want to do this for me and my little guys (2 boys - 4 month old and a 2 year old)who I hope will grow up and join me in adding to their future collections. Thus the two sets for them and the graded for me.

With all that said, I have been picking up Silver eagle proofs around the $30-$38 mark with shipping included in that number. In proofs with original box and COA, I have picked up: 1988 ($37.50), 1986 ($35), 2004 ($30), 2001 ($33).

I also picked up one 2005-W NGC PF70 UCAM for $81. I want all my graded coins to be NGC preferably.

Any eagle buffs out there tell me if I blowing too much money or am I doing ok? I have to stop as I pretty much nuked my monthly budget. Am I doing this in the best way? I want to stay with proofs at this point. I plan to expand out my collecting as I can.

Thanks! I really want to make sure I am not way off base here before I get into next month's budget.

Swest. :ninja:

well,for what it is worth i also collect silver eagles,but i tend to buy only b/u. proofs seem to be a little pricey for my budget and i have this copper fetish thingy that i prob. need therapy for.. but anyway happy collecting...... :ninja:

Bryan

I have been buying a roll of unc silver eagles and one proof silver eagle every year since 1990. I went back and bought a roll of 1987s and 1989, so I still need to get a roll from 1986 and 1988. For the proofs, I went back and bought the 1986-89 back in 2000, and based on the prices then you got a heck of a deal on the 1988. Back then the price for the 88 was about $90, but I thought I got a deal at only $60. Apparently that date has lost favor over the last few years.

I think what you are doing is not crazy in the least. Although I collect only raw ASEs (I do have one MS-68 that I got as a gift from NGC), collecting slabbed coins in this series doesn't strike me as insane like other series where there is a huge jump in price between 69 and 70 grades. Still, on the slabbed ones, I would advise buying the highest grade possible before the big price jump. So if a PR-69 is say $60 and a PR-70 is $200, go with the PR-69. If another date the PR-69 is $75 and the PR-70 is $100 then you may as well get the PR-70.

Otherwise I wish you well and many fun times with your boys!

Watch out for the gimmick ASE's. Like the Lance Armstrong one or 20th Anniversary. You can collect them if you want but there will be a small premium.

Nothing special about the coin, just the holder. I think PCGS was the only one to do stuff like that, maybe ICG. No clue on NGC.

You got a very good deal on the 1988. The last one I sold went for $95. Proofs are what I would collect if I decided to collect the SAEs. Sounds as though you're getting off to a good start. Welcome to CP. Check in often to tell about acquisitions and ask about this and that.

• 10 years later...

@swest>>> I have been collecting since 1986... Back in the day when silver was low I would buy a roll of eagles and I would always have one in my Pocket for Luck. Currently I have all but one of the eagles, UNC and Proof , a few graded... The only one I am missing is the GEM 1995W Proof. They are a thing of beauty and I know your Boys will enjoy those coins. Good Luck with the Set and future collecting .....

Tracy

Ret US Army